• Investor
  • Marina Del Rey, CA
Votes |
Buying a property that's up for sale

Nanette Miller
  • Investor
  • Marina Del Rey, CA
Posted Mar 9 2015, 22:29

I went to a property that's up for sale, it's been on the market for 55 days thus far, was recently reduced.  It needs quite a bit of work, I'd say 30K to 45K in renovations, the price is $299, the Realtor that was showing the property said seller is motivated.  I have researched the comps the price doesn't warrant $299K, I'd say $279K maybe.  Would it be fetch to have Realtor make an offer of $200K or $225K or should I take a contractor to the house and see what he'd estimate repairs and then deduct repairs and come up with a price?

User Stats

Votes
Marshall Downs
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Benton Harbor, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Benton Harbor, MI
Replied Mar 9 2015, 23:20

@Nanette Miller

The answer depends on your level of comfort in construction estimating, but from the question, I'd suggest you bring a contractor along. Make sure it is a decent one with references and relevant experience. Also, is this a buy and hold or flip or other? The purchase price depends somewhat on your strategy, but I like the 70% rule or less for almost everything I do with properties. Pay no more than 70% of after repair value (ARV) for a property including rehab and holding costs. So, if the property is worth $300K ARV and needs $45K of rehab and holding, pay no more than $165K. Apologies if this was too elementary, but I wanted to cover all the bases.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Mar 10 2015, 00:44

@Nanette Miller your question tells me you do not know how to evaluate deals. Check out the free beginners guide under the learn tab above and search for 70% rule here on the site.

Do not base you offer on what you think they will accept. Base it on what works for you. You don't know what a seller will accept until you make your offer. I once purchased a property for $2000 that was listed for $68K. This was an exceptional deal but exceptional deals do happen.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nanette Miller
  • Investor
  • Marina Del Rey, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marina Del Rey, CA
Replied Mar 10 2015, 09:48

Thanks Ned, you're right, it had entered my mine to offer 70 cents on the dollar but I figured there's no way the seller would accept; I must remember I can't think for someone else.  Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Nanette Miller
  • Investor
  • Marina Del Rey, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marina Del Rey, CA
Replied Mar 10 2015, 09:52

Thanks Marshall.

Sounds like it doesn't matter if it's listed or not, goal is always 70% rule. I was just thinking differently because it's on MLS (which obviously has nothing to do with anything), right. Got it Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Bhekizwe M.
  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Votes |
  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Replied Mar 28 2015, 13:51

Right On, @ Marshall Downs.that margin of safety protects you from error.