• Real Estate Investor
  • Center Moriches, NY
Votes |
Designing..

Shannon X.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Center Moriches, NY
Posted Dec 28 2012, 15:33

When you buy a property, and it's in need of a new design such as the layout of the house and deciding on adding or removing walls, ect.. do you do it your self or have a designers/architect?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Dec 28 2012, 16:23

How much do you know about construction? If you know what walls are load bearing, etc. so as not to tear them down, and have the skills for doing design, go for it. There's a thread I started several months ago about a design tool, that is very easy to use. You drag and drop.

Our son uses a really good program for doing layout and virtual visualization, however; we do new construction. For your purposes, the program
http://www.homestyler.com will work.

Here's the link:
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67/topics/72912-great-program-to-design-remodeling-and-visualize

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Espinosa
  • Rehabber
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Rehabber
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Dec 28 2012, 17:32

I use a mixture of both. Usually just from my first walk through of a house, I have a general idea of which walls I want to open up, which rooms I can combine, where to put in baths, etc.

If something is a little more complicated and if I need floorplans because I am doing an addition, I will consult with my architect for ideas.

Nothing in this game is definitive and sometimes it helps to look at each deal individually. Each house will need something different and you just have to find the best way to work around each issue.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mark D.
  • Architect
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 29 2012, 18:05

Most of it you can do yourself. If you are doing a major re-design (addition, re-configuring exterior windows/doors/etc) I would consult an architect or someone who is an experienced rehabber (not a decorator) A well placed window for balanced light or thoughtful layout is the difference between a decent house and a great house.

Also be aware that large re-habs will most likely require a permit.

User Stats

Votes
James Vermillion
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Dec 29 2012, 19:38

I agree with Karen on http://www.homestyler.com

However, whether or not you should attempt design work really depends on your strength and weaknesses in my opinion. I for one would probably fail miserably at any kind of design work on our properties. However, my business partner is an engineer and is able to visualize changes very well, making design work quite easy for him.

Stick with your strengths and find excellent people to work with on your weaknesses.

User Stats

Votes
Phil Z.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orange, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orange, CT
Replied Apr 29 2014, 18:22

DIY, but only if you have the vision and know your not dealing with anything structural.

TOP END Properties Logo