BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer McKay
Votes |
Temporary certification of occupancy

Jennifer McKay
Posted Apr 2 2024, 18:17

Hi there, does anyone know how to obtain a temporary certificate of occupancy for a residential new construction in San Jose? We have everything done except PGE is taking forever to do the meter hook up (no schedule at the moment).

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied Apr 2 2024, 18:24

TCOs are through your building department, and at least locally you can ask your inspector for this. That said I'm not sure the TCO will help here because it is a meter set with PGE, not something that is a City permit issue...maybe they can allow it with a temp pole/meter but I wouldn't count on it. 

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer McKay
Votes |
Replied Apr 2 2024, 22:18

Because of PGE’s frequent delay, CA has started to issue TCO for this situation. However San Jose said they only allow this for commercial properties, not residential. I want to find out if that’s entirely correct. Anyway, thanks for your reply 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied Apr 3 2024, 05:56

I'd reach out to the building inspection senior. So most likely your inspectors boss' boss. Things like this can be difficult to verify because it is often policy more than law/rule. So there may be no actual restriction on TCO for residential, but because of the challenges of doing this for residential homeowners they may have internally decided to restrict it to commercial. 

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer McKay
Votes |
Replied Apr 3 2024, 07:31

That’s what I thought too. Will definitely try the escalation path. Thanks for responding!