BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat

User Stats

Votes
Karolina Powell
Votes |
Landlord policy doesn't cover animals - implications on ESAs

Karolina Powell
Posted Apr 9 2024, 14:19

I have a commercial Landlord's policy through Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies.  It specifically has an exclusion for anything that happens as a result of animals.  I'm trying to figure out if I can get some sort of rider from the company to include them but otherwise it leaves me very vulnerable if someone brings in an ESA.  Can I refuse ESAs since it would cause an "undue financial hardship" to me which is one of the exceptions allowed?  Otherwise it would leave me very vulnerable.  

And yes I do have a commercial and a personal umbrella.  I have questions into them on whether they would cover it if the commercial policy denies it.

Here's the exact language of the exclusion - "This insurance does not apply to animals "bodily injury" or "property damage" arising out of the ownership, use, loading or unloading, handling, or demonstration of domestic or wild animals, including but not limited to dogs.  This exclusion applies whether such ownership, use, loading or unloading, handling, or demonstration is by you or any person you have allowed tenancy on property you own.

User Stats

Votes
Karolina Powell
Votes |
Replied Apr 9 2024, 16:13

Adding that this is a policy on my residential SFHs, not a commercial property

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Apr 9 2024, 16:27

Plenty of insurance policies cover animals. 

District Invest Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Barrett
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Replied Apr 10 2024, 07:18

I would say shop around for a different insurer.