• Mansfield, OH
Votes |
Good CPA in Mansfield Ohio?

David Hendrix
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, OH
Posted Sep 4 2014, 17:47

Hi all!

I started my real estate empire (two buildings!!) last year under an LLC. I filed my 2013 personal taxes and assumed that I could just use Schedule E for the real estate activity. However, I now see that I need to file a tax return (Form 1065) for the LLC as the LLC is actually a two member LLC. The two members of the LLC are my wife and I. I believe that I will need to file the 1065 for the LLC and then issue my wife and I a Schedule K1. Then I will need to amend my personal tax returns. The amendment should be a non-event in terms of $$s.

Are there any CPAs in the Mansfield Ohio area that I could consult with for an hour or so? I would like to discuss this issue and my overall situation. I did file an extension and thought I had until October 15th, but the extension for the 1065 is only through September 15th.

Any suggestions on a good real estate CPA in Mansfield would be greatly appreciated!!

Dave

Account Closed
  • Accountant
  • Santa Fe, NM
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Santa Fe, NM
Replied Sep 4 2014, 19:13

It is considered a disregarded entity so a p-ship return is not necessary. Husband and wife only count as one member. Schedule E on 1040 will be fine.

User Stats

Votes
Darrin Carey
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Sep 6 2014, 07:00

@David Hendrix Congrats on starting your empire! I believe @Account Closed is correct since you are husband and wife, and assuming you filed a joint return.

However, I would highly recommend John Hyre in Columbus for your taxes, even if you only need a schedule E. I found out there were a lot of choices on the tax returns especially in depreciation areas. I've had to readjust my tax planning to meet my current real estate strategies and goals.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
David Hendrix
  • Mansfield, OH
Votes |
  • Mansfield, OH
Replied Sep 6 2014, 07:33

Thanks guys - I appreciate the comments!!

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly H.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago Suburbs, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago Suburbs, IL
Replied Nov 20 2014, 09:15

@David Hendrix 

, how did it work out with John Hyre?

User Stats

Votes
David Hendrix
  • Mansfield, OH
Votes |
  • Mansfield, OH
Replied Nov 24 2014, 07:20

Kimberly,

My property manager actually gave me a name of a local CPA and that worked out well. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly H.
  • Chicago Suburbs, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago Suburbs, IL
Replied Nov 24 2014, 07:38

Ok, thanks!