• Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Votes |
Real Estate License-Broker Needed?

Mike Conner
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Posted Aug 24 2015, 13:04

I was considering getting my real estate license for the same reasons that many others have posted in the forums, mainly being able to view houses asap and avoiding paying the commission. The one thing I cannot find a clear answer on, is can I buy and sell my own properties as real estate agent without being under a broker and paying those fees? Also would I be able to help someone else buy or sell if I didn't take a commission?

User Stats

Votes
Mellody Villegas
  • Joliet, IL
Votes |
  • Joliet, IL
Replied Aug 27 2015, 08:02

This is a great question. I was wondering the same exact thing! Why not have that money come right back to yourself, right? Ideally, it makes a ton of sense. Hopefully someone with an answer will respond soon! Best of luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Aug 27 2015, 08:07

@Mike Conner  It depends on your broker.. the big firms are less flexable. Not sure about Florida but out on the west coast there are plenty of brokerages that you just pay a small monthly fee and a small transaction fee and you can basically do any type of deals that are within the laws and rules of the state.

For instance We only buy and sell for our own account.. and our broker is fine with that.. we pay an annual fee its only like 12k a year for the two of us... WE have 20 times that in commission yearly at least that we would have to pay out if we could not list our own new construction and other deals and or the discounts we get when we buy.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Conner
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Replied Aug 27 2015, 10:36

Thanks for the reply @Jay Hinrichs! Is there some type of list where I can find local small brokers?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Aug 27 2015, 10:39

yes there is this thing called Google  @Mike Conner  put in discount broker ,,, fee only broker etc you will find many I suspect

User Stats

Votes
Mike Conner
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Replied Aug 27 2015, 11:30

Well @Jay Hinrichs I've amazingly tried this google you speak of to look up brokers, but it brings up stock brokers, business brokers, financial brokers, etc etc. Even searching for the discount broker/fee only broker doesn't get me the real estate specific results I'm looking for. To make my question more clear I wanted to see if there was some type of real estate broker specific directory. I'm assuming by your response that you don't know of one.