BiggerPockets

Get absentee owners list from title co.

Forum Powered By:

23 posts by 17 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Jeff Fairchild

Real Estate Investor from Vancouver, Washington

Jan 03 '09, 12:44 PM

I just went read the articles at
http://birddogprofits.blogspot.com/
and it suggested asking a title co. to get a list of absentee owners to save money over a regular list broker. Will the title co. know what I'm talking about when I ask for this? Any tips for dealing w/ the title co when asking for lists? What other lists have you gotten from your title co?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 06:50

Joshua Dorkin Verified Donor

BiggerPockets Founder from Denver, Colorado

Jan 03 '09, 06:42 PM

Your title company can provide you with absentee owner lists and a TON of other different data, and they'll do it for free, but they want to know that you're going to use them when the time comes to close the deal.

Medium_bp-squareJoshua Dorkin, BiggerPockets
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 877-831-4704
Get your logo in your signature too! Upgrade to PRO Today at http://www.biggerpockets.com/pro

Demos Loizides

Real Estate Investor from Dale City, Virginia

Jan 03 '09, 08:20 PM
1 vote

If you have access to your local tax assessor's database, you can search particular neighborhoods you're interested in. Any property with a different mailing address for the owner is you absentee owner property. Add them to your database and send postcards on a monthly basis to them.

Steve Londeau

Real Estate Investor from Columbiaville, Michigan

Jan 12 '09, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
Your title company can provide you with absentee owner lists and a TON of other different data, and they'll do it for free, but they want to know that you're going to use them when the time comes to close the deal.

I've heard this from just about every "guru" out there, and so on. I've worked at title companies for 10+ years, and I never ever recall anyone ever asking for that info, nor how we would get it, nevermind gettng it for free. Any other advice on this or tips? I WORK for a title company, granted, one I can't go asking for this kind of info from, but I work WITH a title company on deals that probably would, but I need to know how to present that to them properly. I do already take all of our deals to them.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 06:56

Jeff Fairchild

Jan 13 '09, 01:49 AM

You work for a title company? You can't go asking who for that info, your boss? I can't tell if you are saying you are working"with" the title company that you are working for.
Why don't you ask your boss how you could get this info to provide for investors?

Don Levy

Real Estate Consultant from Santa Maria, California

Jan 14 '09, 12:50 AM
1 vote

I don't know how title companies work in other states but I know that the ones in California are very helpful when it comes to things like absentee owners lists. Just make sure they know you'll give them your business.
Chicago Title not only gives me absentee or any other owners lists I require but they put it on a floppy for me while I'm standing there. They will also give me address labels. They have a website with a ton of info on it. Other title companies such as First American will also do this.
Talk to your title company, you will be surprised at the service they can provide you FREE!
donrock

Steve Londeau

Real Estate Investor from Columbiaville, Michigan

Jan 19 '09, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Jeff Fairchild:
You work for a title company? You can't go asking who for that info, your boss? I can't tell if you are saying you are working"with" the title company that you are working for.
Why don't you ask your boss how you could get this info to provide for investors?

I work FOR a title company right now. At this current company, no, I could NOT do that. At a past company I probably could. Any real estate buying is off limits for me here, as it's seen as a conflict of interest. (but I can work and my partner can buy all we want. :P) I have to tread very lightly with real estate related stuff here. We are a huge title company under teh largest foreclosure attorney firm in the state, and likely the company. We handle all Fannie and Freddie files for Michigan, with many other banks as well. So, I need to mind my P's and Q's if you will on things like that.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 06:59

Will Barnard Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Santa Clarita, California

Jan 20 '09, 10:25 AM

Your best bet for free info from title companies is to create a relationship with one at a large National title company. These title companies pay for services which provide data on a multitude of items, such as absentee owners, NOD's, etc. etc. Yes they will wany your business. I have done this many times in the past.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 06:59

Medium_be_logoWill Barnard, Barnard Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.InvestorExperts.com

Phil *

Real Estate Investor from Connecticut

Jan 22 '09, 07:40 AM

in CT we use Attorneys for Closings. Are there Title Companies that would have data for my area?

Edited Jun 26 2010, 07:01

Will Barnard Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Santa Clarita, California

Jan 22 '09, 09:41 AM

Title companies have access to pull title reports which show current outstanding lines and amounts, demographic data, property data, loan history, sale history, etc.

Medium_be_logoWill Barnard, Barnard Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.InvestorExperts.com

Charles Whitaker

Real Estate Investor from Amarillo, Texas

Jan 22 '09, 09:15 PM
1 vote

Another source of this data can be your local tax assessors office, and they don't require you to bring them business. You might have to pay some property taxes, though.

M S

Real Estate Investor from Oxnard, California

Jan 23 '09, 06:01 AM

But my question is on the approach, say I dont have a title company, just start calling title companies then and asking for a list and saying if I get a deal ill use them? Or is it better to go in person and introduce myself to someone?

Don Levy

Real Estate Consultant from Santa Maria, California

Jan 24 '09, 10:02 AM

M S,

Make an appointment and sit down with a company rep. Let them know you are shopping for a company that can handle all your title and escrow work. Ask them what kind of services they perform such as helping you market, do they have a website (I found this very important, Chicago Title has good one as does First American) and can they escrow the type of deals you do.

By the way we're almost neighbors. I'm in Santa Maria. I graduated from Ventura UHS (a long time ago) and of course we were bitter rivals of Oxnard.

Good luck and let me know if you need help with this,
donrock

Edited Jun 26 2010, 07:02

George P.

Real Estate Investor from Baltimore, Maryland

Jan 26 '09, 05:54 PM

I guess it depends on the state - where I am title companies don't give you anything.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 07:04

Jeff Fairchild

Jan 27 '09, 12:48 AM

It may depend on the state, but I would try first american title if you haven't yet. It seems to me that they specialize in lists like this more than other companies. It was pretty easy for me to get a rep to offer me a list. Just make sure you know the specifics of the list that you want.

Niman S.

Real Estate Investor from Oakland, California

Jan 27 '09, 02:54 AM

As we can see from previous posts, not all of our experiences have been the same and may vary by state.

Josh was on point though, title companies can provide you with a TON of data for free - they just want you to use them.

For getting the absentee lists, just go to First American or Fidelity, these title companies have nationwide data. Everyone gets their info from them - even Zillow - I guess it's not so commonly known though...

Don't be afraid to ask, it's sounds like many of you are! Your title company will be happy to give you the tools you need to help bring business their way. Here's what I recommend:

Go to the title company, tell them you want a list of absentee owners in your zip code (you'll get their mailing address), so you can mail them your listings.

Remember, Absentee owner = Investor. Your title company wants you to market to them and bring them back their way.

Jeremy Bruce

Real Estate Investor from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Jan 26 '12, 07:20 AM

First American told me they did not do that????

Jeremy Bruce

Real Estate Investor from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Jan 26 '12, 07:26 AM

Do you have a number?? Everyone I seem to talk to transfers me and has no clue what they are doing?

Jerry Puckett Verified

Wholesaler from Irving, Texas

Jan 26 '12, 09:08 AM

@Jeremy Bruce,
This is an old post, but I feel your pain. I have a very good relationship with my title agent...she's the absolute best...but still wont help me with things like this. I asked for help just a few short weeks ago, and below is copied from the email string.

Hi Brandi,
Hope your holidays were good, and the New Year is Rockin'! I took a little break for the whole holiday season, but am starting to gear up for 2012, want to do LOTS of deals this year!

Anyway, I have a question for you: Is it possible to do property searches based on the legal description of a property ( such as: LT:6 BLK:F BK:73126 PG:1712 CITY:RICHARDSON SUB:CARRIAGE SQUARE ) ? I have lists of such that I use for my marketing, and it takes a painfully long time to convert them to names and addresses. I'm wondering if you may have some online tools that I could use to speed things up.

None of the area county tax web sites have that functionality, and neither does NTREIS. Title companies seem to have secret magic powers when it comes to property search, so maybe you can help me to help you - yours is the only title company my partner and I will use this year. Thanks!

Blessings,

Jerry Puckett
Managing Partner
New Refined Images LLC

[i]Jerry,
Oh Boo Hoo…unfortunately I do not….the only online tools I can think of would be Tarrant County Online (OPR) Official Public Records search…and Tarrant County Appraisal District –Tarrant County Tax Office---or whichever county you are working in…..you can purchase an Owners and Encumbrance from our Customer Service Plant..but it costs around $138.00 each I think.

Wish I could be more help,
Brandi[/i]

Brandi,

Boo hoo indeed...
Well, thanks for thinking about it anyway. Maybe one day the counties around here will catch up with the rest of the country. I guess it's time to hire a VA.

Blessings,

[i]Jerry,

Trust me I know!!!!!! It’s getting better though…ha ha ha[/i]

Medium_untitledJerry Puckett, New Refined Images LLC
Telephone: (214) 699-7565
I help Investors buy wholesale | Direct Mail & Internet Marketing

Thomas Handy

Real Estate Investor from El Paso, Texas

Jan 26 '12, 10:53 AM

Jeremy,
Thx for reviving this thread. This gives me an idea since I meet with a title company next week.

Tom

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums