BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 100: The 1st Deal, Management Drama, and the Birth of BiggerPockets with Joshua Dorkin

Expertise:

For the 100th episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, we bring you the interview that you’ve been asking for since the beginning: the story of Joshua Dorkin, CEO of BiggerPockets and host of the BiggerPockets Podcast.

Learn about Josh’s journey from real estate investing newbie to BiggerPockets founder — and all of the obstacles he had to overcome along the way. Get insider information on topics from starting your own business to property management and HOAs. And leave inspired to tackle your own hurdles and get your real estate endeavors off the ground!

For BiggerPockets fans old and new, this is an instant BiggerPockets Podcast classic you won’t want to miss. Get ready to learn more about the man behind the BiggerPockets curtains!

Read the Transcript

Click here to read the transcript.

Listen to The Show on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

Help Us Out!

Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!

Sponsor

logo_c04f5f61-f5d8-4333-a2b7-a12a07d8bfd3_mediumWe just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: YellowLetters.com. YellowLetters is a full service marketing company that helps hundreds of BiggerPockets members find more deals and make more money.

Learn more by visiting YellowLetters.com.

In This Show We Cover:

• How Josh got started in Real Estate
    BiggerPockets-Podcast-Cover 300 300
  • The ins and outs of beginning your own business
  • Thoughts on getting your real estate agent’s license
  • How to get into Real Estate without any prior knowledge about it
  • The importance of properly assessing a property
  • What you need to know about HOAs
  • Josh’s thoughts on appreciation
  • Lessons regarding investing from a distance
  • How BiggerPockets got its start
  • Why BiggerPockets is hard on real estate gurus
  • Why you should be authentic when using BiggerPockets
  • The importance of building relationships online
  • And MUCH more!

Links From the Show:

Books Mentioned in the Show

Connect with Josh

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investo...
    Mehran K. Investor from Wichita Falls, TX
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Haven’t listened yet, but I can’t wait 🙂 Great choice for episode 100!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks Mehran! Hopefully you still feel that way after listening.
    Mehran K. Investor from Wichita Falls, TX
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I could’ve sworn I left a reply here after listening to the show. Don’t see it for some reason! Josh, I loved hearing more about the man who got us all connected. Thanks for sharing your story and for having the values/beliefs that you do. It feels good to be part of a team that is lead by a person who doesn’t B.S. or take B.S. from anyone 🙂
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Haven’t listened either ^^^ lol Episode 100 is a winner tho. Have a great day.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Nice . . . thanks, Engelo!
    Ben Leybovich Rental Property Investor from Chandler/Lima, Arizona/OH
    Replied about 5 years ago
    What a great show you guys! So many pieces worthy of notice! 1. Josh is hiring Ben Leybovich, and Brandon is worried…anyone want to fill me in…?! 2. HOA/Assessment – wow! I’ve passed on many deals due to exactly this kind of thing. 3. Plastic people in LA…what?! Oh, yeah 4. Better lucky than good – that is a real thing… 5. Managing people = managing property; folks need to understand this! 6. Detroit is the place to be! Yeah 7. Brandon Turner – property management – climbing on roofs – poor Heather -Oy vey 9. Brandon Turner is such a GURU! 10. Josh – never apologize. I’ll just say it – you are smarter, and you piss us off cause we are jealous – done… 11. Thank you, Julie! 12. You must give, in order to receive – it’s Biblical. Not sure what’s confusing to folks about that… Great show. One of the best. In fact, I can only think of 2 shows that were better – 14 and 61 🙂 P.S. To my BFF – nicely done! I could do it better, but nicely done 🙂
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks Ben. I really appreciate you listening and taking the time to say something nice. I’ll get that check to you right away 😉
    Ben Leybovich Rental Property Investor from Chandler/Lima, Arizona/OH
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hah – in some not so very nice ways, you remind me of me so much 😉
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I’m not sure what that means, but if it is a complement, thanks. If it is a dig . . . karma will get you 😉
    Ben Leybovich Rental Property Investor from Chandler/Lima, Arizona/OH
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Karma has been getting me ever since our first hello. Please, no more karma, Josh. Seriously, man – I’ve got all that I can handle on my plate at the moment… Great show!
    James Stevens Contractor from Temple, TX
    Replied about 5 years ago
    This was a great podcast guys! It was nice to finally here Josh’s history. lol A lot of EXCELLENT advice and tips, tho’. Thanks guys!!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks James! I’m glad you liked it.
    Carolyn Lorence from Round Rock, TX
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Josh and Brandon – what a great show! Josh – your story is priceless! Brandon – good job keeping the interview on track. 🙂 As I listened today I just kept thinking how lucky we are to have BiggerPockets and how much I personally appreciate you! This forum has really provided so much value and a credible platform to learn and participate in the real estate investing arena. I am so proud of where you’ve taken your business – and that you really do have the backs of your members. Your vision, values and integrity are recreating the real estate investing culture for the better. So, THANK YOU! I DO love BiggerPockets!! If I may quote Josh: Right on, right on! 🙂
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Wow! I really appreciate your kind words, Carolyn. I try my best to make BP the kind of place I’d want to spend my time and it is great to know that people can see that. Thank you for your words and for being a part of our world!
    Jonna Weber Real Estate Agent from Boise, ID
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Loved hearing your story, Josh! I had been so curious who the mystery 100th episode guest would be, and was totally surprised. Very nicely done, and thanks for sharing!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hey Jonna – Thanks for the comment and for listening!
    Olivia Aubry from Houston, Texas
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Loved the podcast, it was nice to get a bit more information on the mysterious Josh. Sadly, I’m one of those ghost members who listens to every podcast but never posts. I’ll definitely be using the site more. Keep making great shows and congratulations on your 100th podcasts!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hey Olivia – Don’t worry about it . . . thanks for listening. We’ll see you on the site (hint)!
    Mindy Jensen BiggerPockets Community Manager from Longmont, CO
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I can’t wait to hear your story, Josh. I’m almost caught up on the Podcasts, but am going to skip ahead a few and listen to this one next.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks Mindy. I hope you enjoy it.
    Mindy Jensen BiggerPockets Community Manager from Longmont, CO
    Replied about 5 years ago
    It’s nice to hear your story. I wrote the article about all the costs involved in getting your license that you mentioned. Here is the link: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/12/03/real-estate-license-benefits-costs-investors/
    Jon Lafferty Investor from Woodstown, NJ
    Replied about 5 years ago
    This was a great podcast guys, definitely top10. Josh its great to know where you have come from and what has helped shape this great community. By the way you and Brandon had me cracking up towards the end of the podcast, you guys have a great dynamic. Great job!
    James Stevens Contractor from Temple, TX
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I, definitely, have to agree. The way you two interact together is “awesome.”
    Thanks a ton, Jon!
    George Stroud
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hard to believe this is BP’s 100th podcast! I’ve been listening since the beginning and never fail to be impressed. Great milestone, BiggerPockets. Congratulations!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    It amazes us too, George! Thanks.
    Steph C. Real Estate Investor from Bristol County, Massachusetts
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Congrats on 100 episodes! I’ve learned so much from all of these podcasts. I liked hearing about the origins of the Bigger Pockets name, very interesting! I also liked the reasons why Joshua started the site. I think when you set out to help people, good things will always come back to you in return. Back in the day, I joined a lot of those other (pre-Facebook) forums/group sites and learned from them, but I always came back to BP to learn from the investors here. Anyone who asks me about REI, I tell them to join BP and just read the forms to get started – it’s free and you’ll learn a lot. Now, I tell them to listen to the podcasts, too. Steph PS – Weren’t we supposed to have those SNL skit links in the show notes? 🙂
    Thanks for coming back, Steph. And on the skits — someone will dig them up 😉
    Michael Faulk Realtor from Shreveport, LA
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Than you for sharing your story with everyone and thank you for the community that you founded. I am proud to say that I am a member of Bigger Pockets. I look forward to what the future holds for BP and it’s members. So… we have checked off the list of hearing the background of BP and Joshua Dorkin. The next item on the list is to announce the dates for the BP Summit 😉
    Jason Fraser from Salt Lake City, Utah
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Mayor of Detroit wasn’t available? maybe show 101.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Ha nice, Jason. Well played!
    Robert Klisak from Oregon City, Oregon
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Where’s the video for Josh on SNL?
    What video? 😉
    George Stewart from Teaneck, New Jersey
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Congratulation on 100 th show . Ever since i found your podcast i got hooked after listening to it. Other people would charge for the things i learn by just listening to your podcast. Thank you for BP . You Joshua Dorkin and Brandon turner are doing a great job.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks for the message, George. We do our best to bring an incredible amount of value to the people who count on us. Thanks for being a part of our community.
    Vince Williams Real Estate Investor from Midvale, Utah
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Congrats Josh and Brandon on Episode 100!! Always love listening to you guys and all the insight and good questions you ask your guests.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks Vince. Hopefully I was able to bring the goods today, too.
    Jonathan Makovsky Investor from Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, Connecticut
    Replied about 5 years ago
    100 shows and you keep bringing the heat. My quick take-aways: 1. Josh, if not for those mistakes and BP, I almost definitely would not be doing what I am today. I am incredibly thankful for what you created. 2. Brandon, amazing job hosting. (Shameless PLUG: Today Amazon books are 20% off so pick up your copy NOW of BT’s book.) 3. Josh is your pose from the podcast picture the same one from your “mipper” days? Looking forward to the next 100.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    *Amazon book discount is 25% off, use: “Bookdeal25”
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Jonathan – 1 – Thank you. I’m glad BP is working for you. 2 – Eh 3 – It might be . . . once mipper makes it to the Urban Dictionary, I’ll know I made it.
    Billy Cones from Harker Heights, Texas
    Another GREAT podcast, looking forward to the next 100 podcast. Keep grinding
    Thanks Billy!
    Bevla Reeves Real Estate Agent from Scottsdale, AZ
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Great show guys!!! Thank you for FINALLY sharing Josh’s story! I was on the verge of searching for it on Google, now I don’t have to! 😉 Thank you Josh for your tireless contribution to your fellow investors, I know I couldn’t have made it this far without BP! You’re the BOMB!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Bevla – Thanks for the awesome message. Please be sure to share any successes you have in our success stories forum!
    Troy Stoehr from Richland, Washington
    Great show! Still waiting for the Josh Dorkin SNL clips. 🙂
    Replied about 5 years ago
    You may have to wait a long time, Troy — or find them yourself 😉 I’m not letting them make it that easy on you guys.
    Andrew Eaton
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Links to Josh on SNL please…
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I’m not going to contribute to the madness 😉
    Shannon T
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Congratulations! You had me at Walter Mitty:) always take away such valuable information from you both – about rei and living the dream.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks Shannon. Keep it up.
    David Krulac from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    Replied about 5 years ago
    @Brandon, just got your book, plan on reading possibly this weekend. Sent you my book, did you get it? @Josh, great show, you might want to read the original Walter Mitty by James Thurber, an under appreciated author. Enjoy my book. Thanks for the great show and the great site, continued success. I did listen to the entire show btw.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks David. Much appreciated.
    Gavin Peacock
    Replied about 5 years ago
    What a brilliant podcast for this important milestone! Josh, you are one seriously talented, interesting and funny chap! I’ve pretty much replaced listening to music in my car, and there’s no better reason to do so. Bigger Pockets podcasts are compulsive listening. #100 was bound to be a big one, and it certainly was. The time actually flew by, and I didn’t want it to end. Two previous podcasts that have really stood out for me were Jonna’s, because the content, information, pace, and host / guest chemistry was so great; and Engelo’s because he was so hilarious, and full of energy. Josh’s story makes up my top 3 of the first 100. I certainly hope that these go on for years to come! (Oh, and when Bigger Pockets starts selling t-shirts, I’d love one with “There’s a hooole in the flooor!!”) ?
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Gavin – That’s actually not a bad idea for a t-shirt . . . I’d love to see some concepts! Otherwise, thanks for the feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed the show and I really appreciate the complements. Thanks for listening and being a part of BiggerPockets!
    Michael Faulk Realtor from Shreveport, LA
    Replied about 5 years ago
    SNL 4/18/92 ????? Classroom scene w/ Seinfield… Josh sitting in the back row behind Adam Sandler and next to Chris Farley???
    Nope.
    Rich Cee Investor from Cape Coral, Florida
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Fellas, I just joined BP a few months ago after becoming interested in REI. I did not come across the “opportunity” of paying a guru and BP is the ONLY REI training and a knowledge source that has ever been i front of me. After this podcast I now realize how blessed and lucky I am, timing wise, to have this free resource and never having to pay a guru. Thank you gents!!!! Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to yous both and all the BP!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks for the kind words, Rich! It means a lot.
    Shane Willcox Professional from Santa Monica, CA
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Here you go guys I found one of Josh’s SNL clips. He’s the guy in the background over the cop’s (who I think is Ben Affleck?) shoulder with the flat top. Enjoy! https://screen.yahoo.com/police-recruit-fitness-testing-000000486.html
    Well played, Shane.
    Jerry Johnson Real Estate Investor from Lincoln University, Pennsylvania
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Josh, In this podcast you stated that a person should stay in their own backyard. Do u feel that a newbie will be okay if they go out within a two hour drive? (Example: I live between Baltimore and Philadelphia with is about an hour from each.)
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hey Jerry – I think backyard comes first, but it that doesn’t work, looking within a few hours is definitely cool as well. The key is accessibility.
    Julia Rowling Real Estate Investor from Greenville, SC
    Replied about 5 years ago
    OK…. I think I’m in love. What an amazing interview! I am totally inspired and know I have found a kindred spirit in you, Josh. Authenticity, honorable intentions, value-based business approach, anti-guru philosophy – you’ve got it all! Have you thought about a donate button? I would totally vote for BP with MY dollar! “I want the answer to the question that I asked!” Favorite quote
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Julia – Thanks for the awesome feedback. It really does mean a lot to me. We do have the ability to donate. That said, if you want to give back to BP, stay active and consider a Pro or Plus account first. Not only does it help support us, but it also gives you additional tools to assist you. Otherwise, do consider uploading a personal profile pic so people can better find you as you navigate and participate on the site. Good luck!
    Ryan Lundquist
    Replied about 5 years ago
    This was a great podcast and very fitting for episode 100. Congrats on the milestone, and thanks for sharing your story, Josh. BP rocks!
    Thanks Ryan!
    Andres Piedra Involved In Real Estate from Potomac Falls, VA
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I liked discussion on crapy PMs. I totally agree that they need to be fired sometimes. However, they seem to be well aware that they suck, as they put in a protective clause in their agreements in that you, the owner, have to pay them X number of dollars if you fire them. It is quite amazing. I fired a PM firm who seemed to make the wrong choice 100% of the time. They were just terrible at every turn. When I fired them, they took whatever they were to make for the rest of our contract out of the tenant’s security deposit that I had to evict. How does one get around this? Yeah, they need to be fired, but how do you do it without congratulating them for their unethical and shoddy work by paying them even more?
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Andres – That sounds illegal — neither you nor a property manager can mess with a security deposit for reasons other than damages to a property, from what I understand. That money is not yours, it is the tenants. I’d probably talk to an attorney about that. I’m sure it is ok to have a penalty clause, but I don’t think they can raid security deposits to get “what’s theirs.” That said, it is EXTREMELY important to read your contract with a PM and if there is something you don’t like, you should negotiate it or move on and find another company.
    Roy C. Rental Property Investor from NC
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Awesome podcast, Josh. I actually listened three times already! As a fellow former educator, I understand what you went through, and how teaching can be both extremely rewarding and frustrating at same time. I was always curious about how BiggerPocket was found, and I was very inspired by the principle you guys go by. As a newbie in REI, this site has been extremely helpful, and I really thank you for creating such a wonderful community, Josh. Keep up the good work!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks Roy! I’m glad the site is valuable for you.
    Brandon Sturgill Real Estate Broker from Columbus, OH
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Finally got to listen…took me two commutes to finish 🙂 Good stuff, Josh. Much respect. Keep up the good fight.
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hey Brandon – thanks for listening! It was a little long, but I’m glad you enjoyed it.
    John Kubala Investor from Mesquite, Texas
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I just finished listening to this podcast and I wanted to say thank you Josh for being unswerving in your commitment to honesty and integrity. Seriously. I believe that these qualities are the reason for your success and the reason I keep listening, reading, and telling others about this site. Thank you!
    That means a lot, John.
    Geoffrey W. Investor from Denton, Texas
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thank you, Josh and Brandon! Well, mostly Josh, but props to Brandon for being the personality that he is and wearing the host hat for the day (#BenLWasRight). I realize my reply is late, but still catching up after the holidays. Somewhat seriously, though, how many properties / units do you own now, Josh? Are they SFR, multis, commercial? Are you managing all of them yourself? I know you’re focusing on BP, but curious how far you’ve come with your RE portfolio. Sorry if I missed this in the podcast…or possibly forgot if it was in the first hour of the show rather than the second! …or perhaps the host forgot to ask these questions! 🙂
    Mark Bommarito from Lakewood, California
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Josh, you are so great at getting us all motivated!! I am not a frequent poster here on bigger pockets even though I joined almost a year ago. After listening to your podcast I am going to make it a point to post here on BP as much as possible so I can get involved more. I have been interested in real estate investing for years and never seemed to figure it out how to get started but feel after listening to you guys each week that Bigger Pockets will be the connection that will actually get me started. I am very glad you started bigger pockets, thank you!! -mark
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I’m glad to have motivated you, Mark! Get the ball moving and let us know how we can be helpful to you going forward.
    David Dello Russo from Raynham, Massachusetts
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I am new here, so I will have to say great podcast, have listened to a few of them. yours was very honest, informative, and makes me realize this site is the real deal for people trying to do and accomplish some day what you have,, thank you
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks for the comment, David. This place is the real deal!
    Chris Tabish Real Estate Investor from Fremont, California
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Just listened to this podcast. Josh, I REALLY appreciate your philosophy on looking out for people and providing great information. I truly believe this is what will keep Bigger Pockets differentiated and growing. I love the podcasts in general for the information they provide but now I’m a total evangelist because of the philosophy. Well done!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    That’s great to hear, Chris. Keep spreading the word about BP and thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.
    Rachel
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Wow, great to hear your story Josh! It’s so true in life about our paths changing. Sometimes we think we are going one way when in reality we go another. One thing I’ve learned about real estate investing, it has its ups and downs — it’s definitely been a roller coaster! It’s great to see how BP has changed and grown. I do miss the old days sometimes but it’s also nice to see what’s new. Great episode! I see you have a sidekick now. 🙂 p.s. I completely hear you about HOA. Nowadays, they seem to have a lot more power. I knew one person who bought a home in an HOA only finding out after they moved in how strict the restrictions were — they could not even have pizza delivered to their own house!
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hey Rachel – Thanks for the message — I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. As for the old days — I definitely like the energy today a little more, but understand why you may have liked the site when it was smaller.
    Suzanne Beninate Real Estate Investor from Irving, Texas
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Josh, I applaud your firm commitment to staying true to your vision. Thank you, and thank you Julie. I’ve only been a member for a short time, but have been like a sponge! Thank you for creating content that is real, meaningful and just what I need. End of last year, I found myself at one of those invitations to attend a weekend event. And because I had made the decision to return to RE investing but with education. I said “yes” to the big package. While I often find myself disappointed with the decision to take a huge gamble, if I wouldn’t have done that, I wouldn’t be here. Thankful for the journey, albeit bumpy. Look forward to sharing and creating victories with my new BP family. Thanks again for creating a safe place to learn and connect.
    Deshawn Jennings Real Estate Agent from Baltimore, MD
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Great Podcast! Thanks Josh for sharing your start-up experiences. Very helpful! I’m about 2 weeks in to being a BP member and have to say that this site has provided me with so much information. I’m ready to finally pull the trigger on RE investing after years and years of classes, reading and much much apprehension. Thank you again for this site and for sharing your story!
    Nathan Reid from Charlotte, North Carolina
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    I’ve been listening to the podcasts from oldest to newest. Thank you for bringing Josh on as a guest. Maybe Brandan could be next… One of the things I really appreciated on this podcast was the detailed explanation of Josh’ condo and his reasoning for disliking HOAs. That was very helpful. I’d like to hear more about Josh’ investing strategy and types of investments that keep him going in real estate investing. Great show and thanks for opening up, Josh.
    Preston Johnson from Charlotte, North Carolina
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Wow, Josh really sound like a guy who built this site to help out the guys who are really trying to come up in Real Estate. I’m currently in the process of buying my first property and will be more active to show support. Thank you guys. You all are true Players in this game!
    Andrew Syrios Residential Real Estate Investor from Kansas City, Missouri
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Josh, you absolutely stole the show in that SNL skit. You should have been Batman instead of Ben Aflleck!
    Kim Stofan Realtor from Sacramento, CA
    Replied about 3 years ago
    I’ve been listening through all the podcasts and just finished show 100. Thank you, Josh, for creating Bigger pockets! The site has changed the course of my life and has given me something to get really excited and passionate about. I admire and respect everything you have accomplished and I loved hearing how your journey has brought you to this point. Thanks again!
    Don Spafford Investor from Idaho Falls, ID
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Darn, the SNL link doesn’t work anymore. Guess I’ll go back to watching Dancing with the Stars. Seriously @JoshDorkin thank you so much for starting this site and not wanting to be a guru with it to let normal people be able to get valuable information to help better our lives. I am forever grateful. I just wish i could have found it years ago to have started off better.
    Shonda
    Replied over 1 year ago
    If there is demand about the 2 port valve butt no output then most likely the 2 port valve is faulty as well as to become replaced. Add enough water for the tub or shower so the head iin the plunger is submerged, and hold a wet washcloth tightly up against the overflow holes higher than the spout. This type of issue is solved by removing the portion with the root resulting in the condition in mild cases.