Rental Property Management Forum

How I keep coi tracking simple across every vendor and handyman
Managing Your Property
How I keep coi tracking simple across every vendor and handyman

Something that doesn't get talked about enough on the landlord side: every handyman, cleaner, and contractor who steps onto your property is a liability question. If someone gets hurt and their insurance lapsed, guess whose property they were on. I work with property managers and landlords on the...

Self managing a property remotely
Managing Your Property
San Francisco, California
Self managing a property remotely

Hey everyone! I am new here and looking to buy out of state and wanted to see if anyone had any advice as to how to manage your property independently, even out of state. I know it’s typically unconventional but I am not looking to build a huge portfolio, but keep a low overhead on what I do end ...

Property Manager Check
Managing Your Property
Jacksonville, Florida
Property Manager Check

Hello, I’m out of state and wanted to check if anyone has used or heard of AAA Sahbudak in Orange Park, FL to manage their rentals. I‘m being approached but can’t find much information online and wanted to do my due diligence. Thanks

Breaking up with property manager
Managing Your Property
Boston, Massachusetts
Breaking up with property manager

Hi everyone, I got a property manager to run my LTR for the past 1.5 years due to things happening in my personal life. Now that things are settled, I am planning to transition back to self-management. Nothing against the property manager. Not bad but not notably amazing. For those of you who hav...

Please advise about current tenants
Managing Your Property
Greensboro, North Carolina
Please advise about current tenants

Hello, I rented a single family home to a family with two toddlers, and within 2 months of living in this home (new construction new home) they called and said there was dampness around washing machine. I sent the plumber out and he said there was nothing wrong with the machine (it is a brand new...

What do you track beyond cash flow in your rental portfolio?
Managing Your Property
Cleveland, Ohio
What do you track beyond cash flow in your rental portfolio?

I own 27 rental units across the U.S. and Canada. Cash flow gets most of the attention, but I also want to know how much debt I’ve paid down and how my equity has changed. I am horrible at keeping track of receipts and I have two year ends. One in Canada one in the US. Which sucks because year en...

When Do You Stop Repairing It and Replace It?
Managing Your Property
When Do You Stop Repairing It and Replace It?

Happy Thursday everyone. Three more observations from the self-managing side of rental property. Three Landlord Tips 1. Look beyond the repair bill. A $1,500 repair may look better than a $6,000 replacement, but the lowest price today isn’t always the lowest cost over time. Age, repair history, e...

The 15-minutes-a-month bookkeeping system that finally worked for my self
Managing Your Property
The 15-minutes-a-month bookkeeping system that finally worked for my self

Two tax seasons of receipt archaeology later, I landed on a system that actually stuck: 1. Every rental dollar gets categorized the month it's spent — I use the Schedule E categories as my chart of accounts (advertising, cleaning, insurance, repairs, etc.), so the year-end summary maps straight t...

Where the cash flow actually is in the Chicago south suburbs right now
Managing Your Property
Where the cash flow actually is in the Chicago south suburbs right now

I manage rentals across the south and southwest Chicago suburbs, and the markets that keep producing steady cash flow are the ones a lot of out of state investors skip. A few I would point newer investors to: Matteson: single family and small multifamily at accessible entry prices with steady ren...

Title: Self-managing landlords: what's your biggest maintenance headache? (poll + res
Managing Your Property
Title: Self-managing landlords: what's your biggest maintenance headache? (poll + res

I'm self managing 5 rental properties and one of my most time-consuming task is handling comminications between tenants. I have a 9-5 so I'm always juggling from scheduling repairs, or going back and forth with tenants. I'm curios if you guys having the same expeience and if you u are using a som...

Poll
Your Portfolio’s Collection Rate Can Hide Your Weakest Properties
Managing Your Property
Baltimore, Maryland
Your Portfolio’s Collection Rate Can Hide Your Weakest Properties

When I review rental performance, I want to know how much of the shortfall keeps coming from the same addresses. A portfolio can collect 95% of rent and still have a handful of properties consistently consuming reserves, staff time, and the cash flow generated elsewhere. That distinction matters ...

Vendor Disabled HVAC - Property Manager Charging Me
Managing Your Property
Houston, Texas
Vendor Disabled HVAC - Property Manager Charging Me

I recently hired a property manager for my Houston rental property. A contractor disabled the HVAC system for an inspection and did not turn it back on. I only noticed because my electricity usage dropped significantly. I alerted the PM and they sent someone out and now I owe them $200 for the vi...

Contractor build a leaking patio - how would you proceed 2.5 years later
Managing Your Property
San Antonio, Texas
Contractor build a leaking patio - how would you proceed 2.5 years later

Hello friends. An outdoor living contractor screened in a patio a few years ago and added a small section of roof to the existing patio roof. This addition has been leaking since it was built just under 3 years ago. They have been tinkering since. Show up, disappear for a few months, show up agai...

Policy and Procedures: Do You Waiver?
Managing Your Property
Policy and Procedures: Do You Waiver?

Here’s one I’d love to hear other property managers and landlords weigh in on: Do you believe good property management leaves room for exceptions, or should the policy be the policy? I’m a big believer in policies and procedures. Not because every situation is exactly the same, but because consis...

STR Performance and Insights
Managing Your Property
STR Performance and Insights

Hi all!! I'm new to the STR world and I'm curious what applications/tools investors/managers/owners are using to track their STR performance against the market. Specifically, anything which turns market data into clear actions/insights. E.g. what to change on a listing, what to improve in the hom...

0 votes0 Replies
How do you verify your PM net deposit matches the statement each month?
Managing Your Property
How do you verify your PM net deposit matches the statement each month?

For owners who use a property manager, how are you checking that the net deposit that hits the bank actually matches the owner statement? I am curious whether people reconcile the rent, PM fee, repairs, reserves, and owner draw line by line, or only look at the final payout. The mismatches I watc...

how to monitor multiple properties for heating / cooling failures
Managing Your Property
how to monitor multiple properties for heating / cooling failures

Wondering if there are product recommendations to monitor multiple properties for heating and cooling failures? I see there are multiple products that monitor temperature and humidity and as well as alert, have a different price point as well as subscription options etc. Appreciate recommendation...

Looking for a property manager with solid accounting and good communication
Managing Your Property
Cincinnati, Ohio
Looking for a property manager with solid accounting and good communication

Hi team. I'm looking for a good PM in the Cincinnati, OH area with good referrals, good communication skills, and clear accounting systems. Any good or bad suggestions? Thank you.

Looking for RE-focused bookkeeper/accountant for quarterly review + tax strategy
Managing Your Property
Looking for RE-focused bookkeeper/accountant for quarterly review + tax strategy

I’m looking for recommendations from other real-estate investors for a real-estate-focused bookkeeper or accountant. I live in California but own a rental portfolio in Missouri, with a mix of long-term, mid-term and short-term rentals. I do my own bookkeeping and transitioned to REI Hub in Januar...

Memphis rental – tenant now 3 months behind, PM communication has become a problem
Managing Your Property
Memphis rental – tenant now 3 months behind, PM communication has become a problem

TL;DR: Bought a Memphis rental in December with tenants already in place who had a history of paying on time. They’re now ~3 months behind and only making partial payments. PM put them on a $500/week payment plan, which worked for about a month, but communication has since fallen apart. I’ve text...

Who keeps the late fees, the owner or the property manager?
Managing Your Property
Who keeps the late fees, the owner or the property manager?

A late fee clause in a management agreement trips up a lot of owners, and I am curious how the people here handle it. When a tenant pays a late fee, who keeps it in your setup: the owner or the management company? I have seen it go both ways. Some agreements let the manager retain late fees as pa...

Bookkeeping for Real Estate Investors, common issues I see
Managing Your Property
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Bookkeeping for Real Estate Investors, common issues I see

Hi everyone, I work in bookkeeping for real estate investors, mainly self-managing landlords and various size portfolios. I come from an audit / private equity accounting background and have been spending more time in the real estate space. From what I see, most bookkeeping issues don’t come from...

How much should you actually budget for maintenance reserves on a rental property?
Managing Your Property
How much should you actually budget for maintenance reserves on a rental property?

Every rental property needs a maintenance reserve. The question is how much. A general rule in Chicago's south suburbs: budget 8-10% of gross rent annually for routine maintenance, plus a separate capital reserve for major systems. Roof, furnace, water heater, appliances, all have a lifespan. Whe...

Your Bank Balance Can Lie to You
Managing Your Property
Your Bank Balance Can Lie to You

Happy Thursday everyone. Three more observations from the self-managing side of rental property. A lot of landlords keep an eye on the bank account to see how the rental is doing. I do too. But the balance in that account and the financial performance of the property are not necessarily telling y...

Twin Cities landlords: How are you actually finding good contractors?
Managing Your Property
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Twin Cities landlords: How are you actually finding good contractors?

Hello! Future first-time landlord here, about to start shopping for multi-family rentals in the Twin Cities. Before I buy, I’m trying to learn from people who’ve already been through this. For those of you self-managing 1-5 units: how do you currently find contractors you trust (plumbers, electri...