House Hacking Investing Strategy Forum

Single Family House Hack
House Hacking
Richmond, Virginia
Single Family House Hack

Hello everyone, I recently purchased my first home, a 4-bedroom townhome, and I'm planning to house hack by renting out the other three bedrooms. I'm new to being a landlord and young, so I'm hoping to learn from people who have experience with renting individual rooms. I'm using TurboTenant to h...

looking for a fourplex/triplex
House Hacking
Fort Worth, Texas
looking for a fourplex/triplex

i am and agent but I'm looking to get a fourplex to house hack any one knows who might be selling please reach out. looking in fort worth but will venture a little out just depends under 450k would be great. This would be my second house hack so any tips would be appreciated as well from you vete...

FHA House Hack
House Hacking
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
FHA House Hack

Looking for advice to analyze a house hack deal. What is the best method to use when looking for a deal. I’m currently in the process of aquiring a duplex in Bellefonte Pa that was built in 1890. Rents are 1,000 per month. Im buying it for 155,000. Interest rate 3.7% However the underwriter is be...

House Hacking in 2026 in Texas or North Carolina
House Hacking
Austin, Texas
House Hacking in 2026 in Texas or North Carolina

Hey everybody, My wife and I live in NYC and are likely planning on moving in about a year or so. At that time we'll have about 70-80k saved up. We have family in Texas (San Antonio) and lived there before. My wife is really against moving back to San Antonio but loves Austin, but also would be o...

First time house hacker- where to begin?
House Hacking
Denver, Colorado
First time house hacker- where to begin?

My partner and I are looking to begin our house hacking journey fall of 2027. We're from Boston and are hoping to move to either the Denver area, Austin, or Albuquerque. I'd like to speak to someone about our finances to see what kind of multifamily house we can afford in each city. What is the b...

New to House Hacking — Where Do I Actually Start?
House Hacking
Huntington, West Virginia
New to House Hacking — Where Do I Actually Start?

Hi Everyone, As everyone seen my last post, I'm new to real estate, but I’ve been doing a lot of reading, listening to podcasts, and trying to learn as much as I can. House hacking is one strategy that really interests me, but I’m honestly a little lost on where I should actually begin. Other tha...

New to Investing - House Hacking to Start
House Hacking
Dallas, Texas
New to Investing - House Hacking to Start

Hi All! I am 28 years old, I work in the mortgage industry as an account executive for a Non-QM lender, and originate some investor purpose loans on the side. Obviously, this is where I found my interest in real estate investing and what got me thinking about this in the first place. I am very kn...

New member looking to house hack with my VA loan and benefits in the Houston area.
House Hacking
Houston, Texas
New member looking to house hack with my VA loan and benefits in the Houston area.

Good afternoon, I am new here and a disabled Veteran looking to use my VA home loan for the first time within a year or so. I live in the Houston area in a suburb north of the city called Kingwood. I have been doing research and gaining knowledge for a couple years. I am having difficulty finding...

First time buyer in CT : multifamily , condo ,or single family ?
House Hacking
First time buyer in CT : multifamily , condo ,or single family ?

I’m a first-time buyer in Connecticut trying to decide the smartest way to get into real estate. I’m a single father with a young child, so renting out bedrooms to roommates isn’t something I’m interested in. If I house hack, it would need to be a multifamily where my child and I have our own pri...

House hacking for a beginner
House Hacking
Dallas, Texas
House hacking for a beginner

Hello! I'm a wholesaker and I'm looking to get into my first investment property. Anyone that has house hacked I'd love to talk to you! I have so many questions.

Complicated Process Finding Leasing Companies
House Hacking
Chantilly, Virginia
Complicated Process Finding Leasing Companies

Hi All, So this past week and so I been contacting Commercial real estate brokers telling them clearly my requirements and then they said they will contact back for listings etc. I am trying to find listings also and I do find them - it's just I prefer to work with a Commercial broker as I am new...

House Hacking in Dallas
House Hacking
Dallas, Texas
House Hacking in Dallas

Hey everyone! I’m currently a college student and will be moving to Dallas full-time in about a year and a half. I’ve always followed BiggerPockets and am considering house hacking as my first investment. I’m trying to figure out if a 2–4 unit house hack is still realistic in today’s market. I’ve...

House Hack Payment Methods
House Hacking
House Hack Payment Methods

I am looking at buying my first house hack very soon. In thinking through the process I was hoping to get some advice on the best way to accept payment from tenants. Does it make sense to establish an LLC and take all payments through that company? Is there any benifit to that? If I am buying the...

House hack strategy
House Hacking
Portland, Maine
House hack strategy

Asking a random question. Has anyone ever borrowed a portion of their 401k plan through employer, to acquire an income producing property for a house hack? Is it a smart decision or bad one?

Househacking Via VA Loan
House Hacking
Chicago, Illinois
Househacking Via VA Loan

I'm a rookie investor looking to purchase my first property in Chicago IL. I've got my certificate of eligibility from the VA, and would like to househack a 2-4 unit building. I'm a trained commercial interior designer and so is my gf, and I currently do business development for a local firm. My ...

When is the right time
House Hacking
Detroit, Michigan
When is the right time

Hello, I’m a 23 year old living in the Metro Detroit area looking to get into investing. House hacking is what seems like the best plan of entry. I would want to do a small multi family, live in one and rent out the other(s) I graduated college in May 2025 and moved back in with my mom. She does ...

Can house hacking work for a 18-19 year old fresh out of high school
House Hacking
Phoenix, Arizona
Can house hacking work for a 18-19 year old fresh out of high school

Hi, I'm 18 years old and a senior in high school. I'm new to the BiggerPockets website and forum. I'm choosing to not go to college next year because I don't believe it takes a degree to become financially independent with real estate. I want to gain experience and get involved with real estate. ...

First Time Home Buyer
House Hacking
First Time Home Buyer

So I've been wanting to invest in real estate for about 2 years now. I've listened to audio books, podcasts ect. I've decided for my first property I'd like to do a House Hack and buy a small Duplex. And I figure that getting a FHA would be the right move. I've saved up a total of 5k for a down p...

House Hacking Home/Landlord Insurance
House Hacking
Hartford, Connecticut
House Hacking Home/Landlord Insurance

Hi to awesome community of RE investors and (under appreciated) support systems! Need your help with the advice. I own a paid off single family house in the suburbs of Hartford, CT and I have been house hacking for over 2 years. A few months ago I gave my home insurance policy document to an AI m...

Need advice - Looking for first property
House Hacking
Trenton, New Jersey
Need advice - Looking for first property

Hi, my names Emily. I'm 25 from central New jersey (mercer county area). It's a pretty expensive market. single family houses go for average $450k. I've been working my first 9-5 for little over 1 year. I bring home $3,700 a month and i'm putting $2k a month towards a down payment and $500 toward...

House hackers in Indiana
House Hacking
Columbus, Indiana
House hackers in Indiana

Hello, I recently purchased my first house hack in Indiana! Are there any house hackers in Indiana hanging out here in the forums? I’d love to connect!

New Investor Looking to Connect
House Hacking
Louisville, Kentucky
New Investor Looking to Connect

Hey everyone — I’m Cade, 22 years old and a recent Indiana University graduate. Over the next year, I’m looking to purchase my first small multifamily property in the Louisville market and house hack it by living in one unit and renting out the other. Right now, I have very little in monthly expe...

Second Property Snag
House Hacking
Woodbury, New Jersey
Second Property Snag

So I bought my first house hack febuary 2025, I put down 10% on a $380,000 duplex because at the time, that's the lowest amount my mortgage broker said I could put down. (Full context I have great credit 780-800) now I know with the house hacking strategy, you have to occupy a unit for a minimum ...

Can you get a HELOC on a house that's already listed for sale? Here's what actually h
House Hacking
Can you get a HELOC on a house that's already listed for sale? Here's what actually h

I'm a mortgage broker, and the call I get most often from people selling a house goes like this: they found the next property, applied at their bank for a HELOC to cover the down payment or carry two places for a couple of months, everything looked fine, and then underwriting noticed the property...

New house-hackers in TN: how'd you convince skeptical partners or parents
House Hacking
New house-hackers in TN: how'd you convince skeptical partners or parents

My wife and I are gearing up for our first house hack in Tennessee (sequential owner-occ strategy, alternating loans between us). Newbies, want to learn from folks who've been through it rather than trip on rookie mistakes. Few areas we're stuck on: 1. Buy-in from partner/family — how'd you get a...