Personal Finance Forum

Is it worth pulling from 401k to buy first property?
Personal Finance
Lafayette, Louisiana
Is it worth pulling from 401k to buy first property?

I don’t have a large amount of cash at hand, but I have a nice nest egg in my 401k. Can someone help me with pros and cons of withdrawing from my 401k (and the crazy tax hit) to buy a rental property (buy and hold)? What kind of cap rate would I need for this to meet the same return that this mon...

How to Make Better Financial Decisions Under Pressure
Personal Finance
How to Make Better Financial Decisions Under Pressure

Making smart financial choices can be challenging during stressful situations. Financial Decisions Under Pressure require patience, careful planning, and a clear understanding of your financial goals. Start by evaluating your income, expenses, and immediate needs before making important decisions...

0 votes0 Replies
The Returns Bell Curve: How I Spread Risk and Returns
Personal Finance
The Returns Bell Curve: How I Spread Risk and Returns
0 votes0 Replies
Problem with closing Solo 401k. Need help with Form 5500 EZ
Personal Finance
Problem with closing Solo 401k. Need help with Form 5500 EZ

Hello BP! I have a problem. My Solo 401k administrator disabled my account for non-payment (long story). But they won't assist with filling out a final form 5500 EZ with the IRS. I closed the account with Fidelity not realizing I had to file a final 5500 EZ regardless of the amount in the account...

Where to Park Cash Between Deals (Without Letting It Rot in a Savings Account)
Personal Finance
Where to Park Cash Between Deals (Without Letting It Rot in a Savings Account)
0 votes0 Replies
Cash vs. Loan?
Personal Finance
Bradenton, Florida
Cash vs. Loan?

Hi there! I'm a newbie and would love some input. I have a condo I inherited in FL where I own 50% of it. My brother would like to sell. It needs work, so we aren't going to get the best return on it, so I've decided since I have the skills and the time to rehab it, I would like to buy my brother...

HELOC through Property
Personal Finance
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
HELOC through Property

Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this. I was inquiring about a HELOC through my investment property not a primary home. Is there anyone in the Milwaukee area that offers that?

How I Stopped Blowing My Rehab Budgets (And What I Check Now Before Every Offer)
Personal Finance
Apex, North Carolina
How I Stopped Blowing My Rehab Budgets (And What I Check Now Before Every Offer)

Early on, my rehab estimates had one thing in common: they were wrong in the same direction. I'd walk a property, jot down the obvious items (paint, flooring, kitchen refresh) and come in 20–30% under by the time the job was done. After enough flips across the Raleigh-Durham area and Huntsville, ...

The spreadsheet column most landlords are missing
Personal Finance
The spreadsheet column most landlords are missing

Most reserve spreadsheets I've seen have the same columns: property, rent, expenses, cash flow. Useful, but they're all backward looking, they tell you what already happened. The column that changed things for me was a forward looking one: for each major system in the property, what's its age and...

How Do You Know When a Client Needs Capital Before They Ask?
Personal Finance
Rochester, New York
How Do You Know When a Client Needs Capital Before They Ask?

A lot of business owners don’t come right out and say, “I need funding.” Sometimes the signs show up first. Maybe they’re delaying a new hire, putting off equipment purchases, turning down larger jobs, using personal credit to cover business expenses, or struggling to keep enough cash available f...

Best business credit card strategy for a buy-one-a-year multifamily plan?
Personal Finance
Best business credit card strategy for a buy-one-a-year multifamily plan?

Hey everyone, looking for input from folks who've actually scaled a small portfolio, because I want to set my credit card strategy up right now rather than untangle it in three years. My situation: Closing on my first property: a 3-unit multifamily I'm house-hacking (owner-occupant in one unit, o...

The 7 Money Moves I Wish Every 22-Year-Old Made With Their First Paycheck
Personal Finance
The 7 Money Moves I Wish Every 22-Year-Old Made With Their First Paycheck

The 7 Money Moves I Wish Every 22-Year-Old Made With Their First Paycheck Getting your first real paycheck feels like freedom. For the first time, you might have enough money to go out more, upgrade your phone, buy things you've wanted for a while, or simply stop worrying about every small expens...

Looking for advice: Use interest-bearing account to pay debt? Or let grow?
Personal Finance
Looking for advice: Use interest-bearing account to pay debt? Or let grow?

Looking for advice: Use interest-bearing account to pay debt, or use a HELOC and preserve the account? I’m trying to figure out the smartest way to handle a somewhat unusual financial situation, particularly with the goal of paying off debt and buying another property within the next 1–2 years. I...

What happens when a business owner has the opportunity, but not the capital?
Personal Finance
What happens when a business owner has the opportunity, but not the capital?

One thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of business owners don’t necessarily have a lack of opportunity — sometimes they just don’t have the capital available at the right time. Maybe they need to purchase equipment, take on a larger contract, increase inventory, hire employees, or simply create mor...

Stop Making Extra Mortgage Payments - Thoughts on Debt From an Investors Perspective
Personal Finance
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Stop Making Extra Mortgage Payments - Thoughts on Debt From an Investors Perspective

Stop Making Extra Mortgage Payments Dave Ramsey has built an entire empire telling people to buy real estate with all cash, or—if they already have a mortgage—to throw every spare dollar they have at paying it off as fast as humanly possible. And honestly? For a lot of people, that is actually fa...

Looking for a CPA experienced with real estate investors
Personal Finance
Looking for a CPA experienced with real estate investors

Hey everyone - I’m starting the search for a good CPA and wanted to see if anyone here has recommendations. I’m a real estate investor and mortgage lender based in Florida and want someone who really understands the investor side of things (rental properties, improvements, depreciation strategies...

Nuances around Estate Planning with Asset Protection
Personal Finance
Nuances around Estate Planning with Asset Protection

Hi BP Community, I have a rental property which is currently under my name. I want to transfer it to an LLC for asset protection reasons. At the same time, I am setting up a living trust for estate planning so that this property can be passed on to my hiers without any difficulty. My attorney has...

Does a big reserve hurt you when refinancing?
Personal Finance
Does a big reserve hurt you when refinancing?

Been building up a solid maintenance reserve across my properties, feels responsible. But started wondering if having a chunk of cash sitting there, clearly earmarked for future repairs, actually helps or hurts when a lender is looking at liquidity and reserves during a refi or new purchase. On o...

W-2 investors — how are you managing finances across your job and your rentals?
Personal Finance
W-2 investors — how are you managing finances across your job and your rentals?

I work full-time and also run an Airbnb. I feel like I'm constantly guessing on stuff — how much to set aside for quarterly estimated taxes, which expenses should go through my LLC vs personal, whether my rental is actually profitable after everything, and how to think about reinvesting vs taking...

Best Credit Card For Real Estate Investors?
Personal Finance
Best Credit Card For Real Estate Investors?

Hello all, From an investor’s perspective, what have you found to be the best credit card for travel points and/or cash back? The card will be used to purchase building materials and pay contractors using a hard money draw system (the card will be paid off within a few days each time it’s used). ...

The number that made me rethink my emergency fund
Personal Finance
The number that made me rethink my emergency fund

I always had a general "just in case" cushion for my rentals, but it was never really tied to anything specific, just a round number that felt safe. Then I actually mapped out every major system across my properties by age and expected remaining lifespan, and added up what replacing everything on...

How are you forecasting reserves beyond the generic 1-2% rule?
Personal Finance
How are you forecasting reserves beyond the generic 1-2% rule?

The standard advice is set aside 1-2% of property value per year for maintenance and capex. It's a fine starting point but it treats a property with a brand new roof and HVAC the same as one where everything's 15 years old. I switched to forecasting reserves system by system, roof, HVAC, water he...

Ever feel guilty dipping into your reserve?
Personal Finance
Ever feel guilty dipping into your reserve?

Had to pull from my maintenance reserve last month for a repair that was genuinely necessary, not optional, not something I could put off. Still felt a weird pang of guilt watching the number drop, like I was failing at the one job that money had. Logically I know that's exactly what it's for. Th...

Why are You Investing in Real Estate
Personal Finance
Why are You Investing in Real Estate

Why ARE you investing in real estate? My thoughts are that the main reason 90 % of the people who claim they want to invest never do is because they can not adequately answer this question. Unless an investor, especially a “wanna be” investor has absolute clarity on this question, any investments...

Getting a Line of Credit after retiring
Personal Finance
Getting a Line of Credit after retiring

I recently retired but want to continue to drive income through real estate investing. My goal was to use the good amount of equity in my current home to finance the first purchase but my bank won't lend without a current income stream. Any suggestions other than going hard money?