Cash vs. Loan?
Hi there! I'm a newbie and would love some input. I have a condo I inherited in FL where I own 50% of it. My brother would like to sell. It needs work, so we aren't going to get the best return on it, so I've decided since I have the skills and the time to rehab it, I would like to buy my brother out (probably somewhere in the 65,000 range). I have one rental already, with lots of untapped equity. I have the liquid to pay him, but not sure that's smart with capital gains? I have a HELOC I plan to use for the remodel (planning about 15,000-20,000 in repairs). I then plan to use it as a mid-term rental and see how that goes to try and recoup the remodel. Any opinions about paying cash for it vs. trying to find a private loan or use my other rental's equity? The condo does have a high HOA fee, which the stress of trying to pay a loan on top of the HOA (while it's vacant) sounds less appealing to me. Any thoughts?