On today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, we talk with one of the most influential voices in the real estate investing world today – Ken McElroy.
Ken, the author of The ABC’s of Real Estate Investing and several other influential books, shares his story of getting started with nothing and building up a real estate investment company with thousands of units and hundreds of employees. Ken has a lot of great advice and knowledge for people at all stages of their investing careers, and shares it in a fun, entertaining manner.
On today’s show we’re going to talk a lot about getting started, raising capital, and investing in large apartment complexes for big wins. Don’t miss a second of this exciting show!
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
In This Show, We Cover:
- Getting started with no money – through property management
- Why should someone invest in multifamily properties?
- Using other people’s money to invest in real estate
- Investing at a distance vs. investing locally
- Determining the best locations and markets to invest in real estate
- Cash flow vs. appreciation: which is best?
- Ken’s newest $9 million dollar project
- Why Ken loves bad landlords
- How to find amazing apartment complex deals
- Raising millions of dollars in 20 minutes
- How to find a great property manager?
- Should someone start with Apartment Complex Investing?
- The worst mistake you can make as a real estate investing
Links from the Show
- What is a Cap Rate? (Capitalization Rate) (article about Cap Rates)
- BiggerPockets Presents: The 21 Best Real Estate Books Ever
Books Mentioned in the Show
- The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump
- The Best Real Estate Advice I Ever Received by Donald Trump
- Turning Pro by Steven Pressfield
- Tribal Leadership: Leveraging Natural Groups to Build a Thriving Organization by Dave Logan
- The Crash Course: The Unsustainable Future Of Our Economy, Energy, And Environment by Chris Martenson
- The ABC’s of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy
- The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy
The faster you fail, the smarter you get. (Tweet This!)
“You don’t need to be an expert at everything.”(Tweet This!)
There’s a lot more money out there than deals. (Tweet This!)
The best deals are generated from face to face relationships. (Tweet This!)
The entire goal of my company is to replace myself. (Tweet This!)
Connect with Ken
BP Podcast 052: Buying Apartment Complexes, Raising Millions, and Building a Profitable Business with Ken McElroy by Brandon Turner