40 Year Loans (Investors and First Time Buyers)

40 Year Loans (Investors and First Time Buyers)

Joseph BernalPro Member
Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes

I'm a Real Estate Broker and Investor in WA state. I recently met with a local lender who is rolling out a 40yr loan package. He's supposed to send me the details but from what I remember it's a 40yr ARM. 20% down, the first 10 years you only pay interest only. My initial thoughts was this is a good way to be able to purchase an investment property in todays market so it actually cash flows. Obviously there is inherent risks but wanted to get your opinions. Initial thoughts?

They also are rolling out a 40 yr ARM for first time buyers @ 3.25 IR. IR is locked for the first 7 years. This is a play so that new buyers can be approved for more purchase price and the payment amount is lower. The lender said they will approve based on worst case scenario in the event IR rise dramatically to curb the risk for the buyer later on when the rate adjusts. Just like most loans through history, they create longer loan terms, I believe these will be more of the norm as the years go on. Thoughts?

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I don't have a problem with 40 year loans. I'm sure they have a lot of critics though.

    The average length of homeownership is nowhere near 30 or 40 years so most people never end up paying off their homes as a result.

    If your goal is cash flow today, then a 40 year loan with a 10 year IO period is about as good as you can get.

    If your goal is to have a paid off property in retirement, you should obviously lean towards a fully amortized loan on as short of a term as possible.

  • Lender · Winlock, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I just closed a 40 year mortgage in December. The 1st 10 years was interest only followed by a 30 year fixed. This allowed the buyer to have a lower monthly payment during the 1st 10 years. As was stated by @Scott E.undefined The national average that someone is in their loan is between 5-7 years. In most cases, they will refinance or sell long before 40 years has past. As with anything, its a very useful tool, so long as you fully understand the ramifications of the terms on the loan. 

    I hope this helps?

  • Joseph BernalPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kevin Romines:

    I just closed a 40 year mortgage in December. The 1st 10 years was interest only followed by a 30 year fixed. This allowed the buyer to have a lower monthly payment during the 1st 10 years. As was stated by @Scott E.undefined The national average that someone is in their loan is between 5-7 years. In most cases, they will refinance or sell long before 40 years has past. As with anything, its a very useful tool, so long as you fully understand the ramifications of the terms on the loan. 

    I hope this helps?


    Thanks.  Yes, agree completely.  It may not work for everyone but for first time buyers, or any buyers really who need to be approved for more purchasing power as prices have jumped so high. For investors this will help find deals that cash flow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.