Rental Property Investor · Kalamazoo, MI (Kalamazoo) · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 6 votes
With the bulk of the buyer pool being pushed out of the marketplace by interest rate hikes, is now a particularly difficult time to get started as an agent?
Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
3y
Hi Will, I just started this year in Ohio and I think it's a decent time, you may have to work a little harder than at other times in the past but it's certainly doable. Are you originally from Kalamazoo? just curious because I'm from fennville!
With the bulk of the buyer pool being pushed out of the marketplace by interest rate hikes, is now a particularly difficult time to get started as an agent?
I think it is, I just went full-time as an agent back in August. I chose to leverage the experience of a great team to help support me. I know that if I do the work they will not let me fail.
If you are willing to pursue it as a full-time career! Then yeah absolutely! People are always looking to buy and sell and people are looking for full time professionals
With the bulk of the buyer pool being pushed out of the marketplace by interest rate hikes, is now a particularly difficult time to get started as an agent?
I think it's a solid time to be an agent. A lot of the part time agents are going to be slow right now and will find other job opportunities. So if you can survive the slow times you'll just grow your market share when times are good. That's how I look at it!
Realtor · Fort Valley, GA · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 1 vote
3y
This is an excellent time to be a Real Estate Agent. That is if you are willing to work your butt off. Most newbie agents only make about $24,000 per year their first couple of years. We have a huge turn over because a huge ratio of folks coming into the business think that all you have to do is show some homes and write them up.
No, there is so much more. You have to accumulate a knowledge of your market, financing options, keeping up to date with changing real estate laws, grow a list of clients and market yourself. You have to be willing to work long hours and to spend money on your career. You have to become accountable to yourself and be dedicated to your career. You don’t have a boss standing over you. You don’t have to punch a time clock. You control your own work schedule. You have to understand, I mean really know deep down, that if you don’t put in the work, the time and the effort that you will fail.
I do not want to dissuade you but you need to know what you are getting into. Yes, you might make much more in your first couple of years but most don’t. Most have to put in a few years before they can actually be considered successful. If you do decide to get into the business find a broker or office that will take some time to train you one on one and be available to answer your questions in the evenings and on the weekends. Your real estate classes will teach you how to obtain your license but your real training happens on the job.