Honest Review of Working for Redfin as an Associate (Showing) Agent

Honest Review of Working for Redfin as an Associate (Showing) Agent

Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 303 posts · 288 votes

Hey all! If you're an agent or considering becoming one, there's a lot to consider. Lots of ways to make money, but many assume that representing buyers and sellers is the only way. I am in college and wanted to get started, but didn't want to start up a whole business when I knew I might be moving after college and couldn't dedicate myself full-time to the business on top of school either. So I got my license and joined Redfin as an associate agent.

My Job: I am an independent contractor. I set my own availability and service regions and then they give me tours or I can pick up loose ones as well. I communicate with the buyer and sometimes the seller, schedule the listing (or a coordinator does usually) and all I have to do is show up. I access the property, keep note of buyer information and feedback, and answer basic questions about the home and the area if I can. Sometimes it's string of homes, like 5 or 6 in a row with the same client. And I can have several tours (or string of tours) in a day. Weekends get especially busy and so do week nights, makes sense.  Honestly I spend half of more of my time just driving to and from homes, so I listen to podcasts, call my network, and do other important stuff.

Expenses: These will eat into your pay. I'm talking gas (the biggest expense by far), I drive up to 6 hours on a Saturday and can track those miles for write-offs. I have MLS fees, REALTOR fees, and SUPRA fees to access homes, on top of taxes.

The Pay: I work 10 hours a week, though it fluctuates between 5-20. If I left it wide open I could probably hit 25 or 30. Although this is a slow market. The pay is structured in a way that I make money for every home (and often a cancellation pay when I get last minute changes). $60 per home during peak hours, and strings of homes give you more. A 6 home tour gives me $120, and the homes are often very close together. I probably average $40 an hour after expenses.


Pros & Cons:

- The biggest issue is that I have to hang my license under Redfin and can't actually represent anyone or do deals. It really limits me, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you need a side hustle.

- It's fantastic money that is guaranteed and works great for college students too

- You get to know your market really fast and make connections with buyers, sellers, and agents all over the place

- You learn how the game works without any consequences

- I spend sometimes hours in between tours where it doesn't make sense to waste gas and time driving to and from my home. I have learned to do school, social media marketing, and other important tasks at local Paneras during the in-between moments to stay productive. Else, this time will destroy profitability and productivity for you.

LongTerm: Long-term this is not a forever move. I could keep it as a side hustle yes, but I want more. And if you're on here, you will too. It's a great way for some to get started, but I plan to use it to propel me into my own RE sales business in the next year. Don't underestimate the freedom to scale, grow, and delegate as an agent. You won't find that here.

If I missed anything, please leave a comment with a question or feedback. Let me know how I can help you get started! Feel free to find me on my socials (YouTube, Instagram, TikTok) where I make real estate content and talk more about this stuff.

1Reply
642 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

I had no idea RedFin was structured in this way - considering that someone would have to go through around 70 hours of required classes to get their license (in NY) I can't see why any full time agent would park their license with RedFin. 

You make a good point, this does seem to be a good source of income (and learning) for those looking for a true side hustle with little/no risk. 

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I had no idea RedFin was structured in this way - considering that someone would have to go through around 70 hours of required classes to get their license (in NY) I can't see why any full time agent would park their license with RedFin. 

    You make a good point, this does seem to be a good source of income (and learning) for those looking for a true side hustle with little/no risk. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2022 · 238 posts · 102 votes
    3y

    Hi Benjamin, this was an interesting read for me. I spoke with an agent who switched from Redfin to a regular brokerage, and he quit selling real estate after realizing that he has to be his own boss and run his own small business. I agree this might be a good option for students. And also it's a great option for those who are not ready to handle their own lead generation, marketing, branding, accountability, conversion, closings, analysis etc. It takes A LOT to become an agent, some people don't realize it. I personally think you're ready to go solo :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Thanks for the info....this is probably helpful to some new agents considering Redfin.   Do you think they would ever give you the opportunity to do more for higher pay?   Like writing contracts, or going on listing appointments...or are those more hourly jobs too?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.