Disclosing Sales Agent and Brokerage to MF Development Employer

Disclosing Sales Agent and Brokerage to MF Development Employer

Missouri City, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I work for a MF Development Company in Texas and I want to get my realestate license. The president of the company has his brokerage license. If I get my sales agent license, I will need a broker sponsor. I don't want him to be my brokerage sponsor because he will want me to look at MF deals, which has extremely slowed down in the past few years. My role with this MF company is to manage the design, construction of the GC's and opening of the properties. My role does not require any underwritting to deal presentation to the principals.

Do I have to legally disclose to my boss that I will have my sales agent license and have a brokerage sponsor that is someone different outside the MF development company?

The intent of getting a sales agent license is to educate myself in Real Estate and create some additional income.

0Reply
28 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Victor PatelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 89 votes
    1y

    Your license is part of the public record, so sooner or later, your employer will find out if you're licensed. As an employee of a MF Development Company, your boss will expect you to dedicate full-time hours to your job. If you're working on other projects during that time, it could create an issue, as it would for any employer.

    Why not be upfront with your boss and let them know you're planning to get your real estate license? Getting his/her initial reaction could open the door to an agreement that works for both of you. Transparency is key—being honest will help you avoid unnecessary stress and ensure peace of mind.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Glumac:

    I work for a MF Development Company in Texas and I want to get my realestate license. The president of the company has his brokerage license. If I get my sales agent license, I will need a broker sponsor. I don't want him to be my brokerage sponsor because he will want me to look at MF deals, which has extremely slowed down in the past few years. My role with this MF company is to manage the design, construction of the GC's and opening of the properties. My role does not require any underwritting to deal presentation to the principals.

    Do I have to legally disclose to my boss that I will have my sales agent license and have a brokerage sponsor that is someone different outside the MF development company?

    The intent of getting a sales agent license is to educate myself in Real Estate and create some additional income.

    If your relationship is such that you need to hide your license, you’d be better off with a different working relationship. 
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Missouri City, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Appreciate the response Victor and Don and your neutral perspective. It is a positive working relationship. I am trying to understand how that dynamic may change if I was sponsored by a broker outside of our office. I tend to agree and don't think it will be an issue.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.