New to this website and new to real estate

New to this website and new to real estate

Involved In Real Estate · Lake mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 1 vote

I just finished my real estate class at Ron Climers school in Orlando fl and I am wondering if anyone would be interested in giving me advice on what to do now? good real estate brokers to work for and advice on mistakes not to make as a new person in the field.

1Reply
5 views

Most Popular Reply

Syracuse, NY · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 16 votes
12y

@Jacob Olivos Congratulations on passing the test.

Next thing for you to do is start interviewing a couple brokerages in your area. Interview some local brokers as well as the franchises. Focus on their new agent training as well as mentor programs. For me personally I wanted to jump right in and do 30-35 deals my first year, but then realized I should take it a little slower for the first year and really just absorb everything. When I interviewed around I decided to go with Keller Williams because the training was just unbelievable. And it continues after the new agent orientation. Every week we have 1 or 2 different classes going on that anyone can jump in on.

As Antonio said listen to the BP podcasts and set up the alerts for Orlando so you can network with people in your backyard.

Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Welcome to the BP @Jacob Olivos

    Just dive in, my man. Learn all you can, listen to the BP podcast eps and set up keyword alerts for Orlando.

    Check the forums. I'm sure there are plenty of older and newer discussions your desired niche.

    Good luck!

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Jacob Olivos Congratulations on passing the test.

    Next thing for you to do is start interviewing a couple brokerages in your area. Interview some local brokers as well as the franchises. Focus on their new agent training as well as mentor programs. For me personally I wanted to jump right in and do 30-35 deals my first year, but then realized I should take it a little slower for the first year and really just absorb everything. When I interviewed around I decided to go with Keller Williams because the training was just unbelievable. And it continues after the new agent orientation. Every week we have 1 or 2 different classes going on that anyone can jump in on.

    As Antonio said listen to the BP podcasts and set up the alerts for Orlando so you can network with people in your backyard.

    Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Liberty Hill, TX · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 166 votes
    12y

    I know it is difficult to assess as a new agent but office culture is very important. Are you constantly around negative people? How many agents are really doing transactions----not just going through the motions. I worked for a very large multi location broker. The top 50 agents made more than $175,000 a year but nearly 50 % of the agents didn't get a single check all year. Some people are agents and are there for the social aspect.

    Training is definitely important but so it a knowledgeable manager. Many would tell you cannot do what you want or what your client wants to do---they are wrong many times and cannot think outside the box. Find someone who understands what you want to do and will help you on your way. God luck.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Tierra Verde, FL · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 130 votes
    12y

    @Jacob Olivos I could not agree more with @Jim Wilson . KW offers an excellent training program for new agents that readily translates in to investing. In fact there is so much training available you could literally spend 40 hours a week in training. Don't do that, take it slow, find a few agents that have similar backgrounds or goals, let them give you some guidance then get out there and sell.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Jacob Olivos

    Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 70 past ones to catch up on.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need. Check with all the investor/agents see where they hang theirs with and why.

    A good read from Brandon Turner

    The Real Estate Agent's Ultimate Guide to Working with Investors

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/08/24/real-estate-agents-working-with-investors/

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    Jacob welcome to biggerpockets

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.