Reciprocity and Agent License in New York / Georgia

Reciprocity and Agent License in New York / Georgia

Investor · East Northport, NY · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 5 votes

Hey BP Agents/Brokers out there. I'm a licensed agent in the State of Georgia but it has been inactive since 2008. I moved to New York in 2009 but never really had a need to get a NY RE license. Now that i'm starting out investing i'm curious what the process would be to get a NY license through reciprocity and eventually get a broker's license so I don't have to hang my license somewhere. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

0Reply
28 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    11y

    I am not sure of the laws in your state. I am in CO and a license that has been inactive so long may require an entire re-licensing. You would definitely have to go back to the classroom and get updates - just for your GA license. I would think that an NY license would have to start from scratch as well. If the GA was current, and you held it current for more than 2 years, reciprocity is a matter of taking the NY specific classes and passing the NY portion of the test. A lot has changed in 7 years, including (in October) the closing documents. I would be astonished if you could just pick up where you left off. It has been a strange 7 years...

  • Investor · East Northport, NY · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    I am not sure of the laws in your state. I am in CO and a license that has been inactive so long may require an entire re-licensing. You would definitely have to go back to the classroom and get updates - just for your GA license. I would think that an NY license would have to start from scratch as well. If the GA was current, and you held it current for more than 2 years, reciprocity is a matter of taking the NY specific classes and passing the NY portion of the test. A lot has changed in 7 years, including (in October) the closing documents. I would be astonished if you could just pick up where you left off. It has been a strange 7 years...

     Mindy thanks for the reply. I feel like you're probably right. With the length of time and changes in the RE industry over the years and the change in state it's most likely a start from scratch scenario. Now I just have to confirm our suspicions and decide if it's worth it or not.  On a side note I was listening to you on the BP podcast earlier today which was very informative and I had a few questions for you when you have some time. Thanks again.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    11y

    @Timothy Ryan, PM me with any questions!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.