Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 3 votes
Houstonites,
I'll soon be a licensed agent and looking for a sponsoring broker and office. I've already interviewed with Keller Williams, and will probably set something up with Heritage Texas Properties to meet.
Are there any other agencies you would recommend? Do you know someone who is looking for an EXTREMELY motivated agent they are willing to take under their wing? I want to be with a broker/agency who will train/guide/mentor me in the beginning. I do plan on diving into investing (I'm thinking fix and flips will have my heart) soon after I get the feel for residential real estate.
I'm open to the thought of commercial if the position is right, but I'll be honest when I say I know nothing about it.
Thank you in advance for any insight! I'm on the north side (Tomball/Woodlands) but willing to go "as far" as downtown.
I think for a new agent, Keller Williams is hands down the best option. From what I've heard, their training program is top notch and they will get you started on the right track with your career. Also, you will likely be able to find an agent looking for a "Team Member" to work as a buyer's agent which will give you a source of clients that you wouldn't have just getting started on your own.... Having said all of that, these "benefits" come with a cost... typically a pretty hefty chunk of your commission. My advice is to take what you can from the company and in a few years, after you have gained a boatload of knowledge... reevaluate your place there to see if it is the right fit.
Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 3 votes
10y
@Jeff Wallace, thank you for the insight! What you said is exactly what I've been thinking for the last couple of months. I've heard their training program is excellent as well and they sure made it seem like the bees knees during the business meeting I had with them. They do take a decent chunk; 30% capped at $18k in one calendar year, 6% capped at $3k in one calendar year and $60.00 E & O each transaction. Although, like you said, it will be worth it if I can get a couple good years of excellent training.
Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
10y
KW is great for training. But once you decide to get into investing, you'll have to find another broker. Companies like KW don't let their agents buy and sell for themselves.
Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 3 votes
10y
Fred, that's a bummer to hear. I assumed they wouldn't be too keen with an investor/investor friendly agent in the mix but I was hoping I could at least get a few investments under my belt without care from them. I guess we'll see. I'm solid at every thing I do and a very quick learner so I may not have to stay there too long to catch on. Plus, I don't really want to give away 36% of my commission for too long, either.