Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 62 votes
Hi BP.
So, I passed the exam yesterday to get my CA Real Estate License. Woohoo! And now I'm looking for a brokerage to hang my license in on the West Side of Los Angeles. I would prefer a brokerage who deals with investors. But I'm really looking for a happy team to join (could be commercial or residential) where I can add value. I've had a great 15 year career in the entertainment industry, and I'm not looking for a "job." Just a place with some nice people who support and mentor me in exchange for my hard work and added value. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance for your input!
I'm with Keller Williams Brentwood, and I could not be more happy. We are very team oriented, and you won't find a better culture than KW. A big part of the culture is investing. Gary Keller wrote Millionaire Real Estae Investor and a big emphasis is put on growing not only our real estate business, but also being investors ourselves.
It is also one of the best training programs for new agents. They really work hard to get new agents into production and to "cap" so they are getting 100% of their commissions.
Please reach out if you have any questions on KW, and I'd be happy to put you in touch with my team leader.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 27 votes
10y
I would agree with @Eric Dowling, KW is pretty good up there for new and upcoming agents. Good atmosphere and training. A colleague of mine who had also just got her license in L.A. interview many brokers including Hilton &Highland, CB and Remax. Of those she chose to go with KW and loves it. Good Luck!
Berkeley, CA · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 2 votes
10y
Congrats on getting your license! I would go a different route than what's been said actually. My advice would be to join a team such as Tami Pardee or the like. The reasons for joining a team are that there's built in lead gen such as open houses and Zillow leads that are given to you in a constant stream. You're also working with more experienced agents that are there to help you learn. You'll give more away as far as split but it's well worth it when you consider the volume of business and knowledge that you'll receive. As an example, a friend of mine and I became agents about a year and a half ago. She joined KW Studio City and I joined a team on the Westside. After one year she had done one transaction...I had done 20. I sold 20 million in real estate in my first year, learned a ton and then went out on my own. 87% of agents fail. I think you up the odds in your favor by joining an established team. Hope this helps!