Why the banks wont lend for the war zone properties in Rochester

Why the banks wont lend for the war zone properties in Rochester

Flipper · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 4 votes

Why the banks wont lend for the war zone properties in Rochester?

There are lot of properties in rochester with a good cashflow but I heard that banks wont lend not even 70% of LTV. Any information helps alot.

thanks

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 48 votes
9y

They legally cannot deny a loan for a property in a given area, that is an illegal practice called redlining. However, they can set a minimum amount they are willing to finance (Usually around 50k) and since most of those properties fall under that, they can get away with loaning out money to them. 

Now as to why? Because they are bad areas to own property in! I know a few wholesalers who've wholesaled the same house multiple times! Investors ignore the warning signs, only see the $$$$ and buy properties that are very hard to find good tenants. Good tenants don't want to live in those areas. Section 8 & DSS will pay for them to live in better areas, so the really run down streets are usually all cash tenants. 

I would look at what the banks are saying as good advice. Stick to areas that you can get a mortgage on a house, you'll end up making more money in the long term, and you'll have far fewer headaches!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 303 posts · 154 votes
    9y

    hi @Raju T.  which banks have you been dealing with? I generally use upstate bank and a hard money lender.  They are pretty easy going.  I buy all over the city 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 303 posts · 154 votes
    9y

    Sorry pressed send by mistake.  Reach out to me and I can share my contacts with you.  Good luck!

  • Flipper · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Yes, I went to Rochester last summer and I heard from realtor that banks wont lend and my only option is private lenders. So I am curious to know the reason. I Live in Canada.

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 101 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    They legally cannot deny a loan for a property in a given area, that is an illegal practice called redlining. However, they can set a minimum amount they are willing to finance (Usually around 50k) and since most of those properties fall under that, they can get away with loaning out money to them. 

    Now as to why? Because they are bad areas to own property in! I know a few wholesalers who've wholesaled the same house multiple times! Investors ignore the warning signs, only see the $$$$ and buy properties that are very hard to find good tenants. Good tenants don't want to live in those areas. Section 8 & DSS will pay for them to live in better areas, so the really run down streets are usually all cash tenants. 

    I would look at what the banks are saying as good advice. Stick to areas that you can get a mortgage on a house, you'll end up making more money in the long term, and you'll have far fewer headaches!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.