Best broker to hang license with in Pennsylvania?

Best broker to hang license with in Pennsylvania?

Realtor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone! I just passed my real estate salesperson license exam in Pennsylvania. I am currently living in Pittsburgh and mainly got my license for the purposes of being able to do my own deals on investment properties. Any recommendations on brokers? Looking for minimal fees and requirements as I have another full-time job and am not looking to be a full-time agent, but rather just use my license for personal investment needs. 

1Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
9y

@Emily Fraser - don't go with a big brokerage as they will charge you higher fees for things you won't use. Look for a small brokerage that lists investment properties. The best way to do this is to see what signs you see when you are driving for dollars. If you see those signs on properties in need of work, reach out to that brokerage. For what you are planning to do, you can find a 100% brokerage who will just charge you a fee per transaction closed and minimal other fees. You don't need the cache of the name of the brokerage since you are just doing it for MLS access. Hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    @Emily Fraser - don't go with a big brokerage as they will charge you higher fees for things you won't use. Look for a small brokerage that lists investment properties. The best way to do this is to see what signs you see when you are driving for dollars. If you see those signs on properties in need of work, reach out to that brokerage. For what you are planning to do, you can find a 100% brokerage who will just charge you a fee per transaction closed and minimal other fees. You don't need the cache of the name of the brokerage since you are just doing it for MLS access. Hope this helps.

  • Realtor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Jonathan Greene I appreciate the insight thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Media, PA · Member since 2017 · 361 posts · 250 votes
    9y

    I agree with @Jonathan Greene, not necessary to go for a big name. Might also look into any local REIAs and see if there are any agents/brokers with the investment mindset. There can be a big difference between a typical retail agent and investor agent. Also, congrats on becoming (soon) an agent and welcome!

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    9y

    Hi @Emily Fraser

    When I got my license I interviewed a bunch of them and the best deal is with Keller Williams to be honest. I'll send you a message with details. 

  • Jeremy TaggartBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Angotti mind sending me that same message? haha. I'm in the process of getting my license/interviewing brokers now too. I'm planning on going full-time into being an agent though.

    DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    9y
  • Jim HoganPro Member
    Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    Interesting responses about big brokers.  I choose one of the biggest, Berkshire Hathaway, in my area they have the lowest fees.  My commission may not be as high but it works for my business model, which is similar to Emily's.  Emily go to open houses and ask the agents who they are with and why are they there.  You will find the right one this way.  Also, ask how it works to be on a team rather then by yourself.  It normally pays better commission.

  • Real Estate Agent · Terrell, TX · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    I am with Real. It's a cloud brokerage and I really love it. The support is great and fees are awesome. Joinreal.com
  • Delaware County Pennsylvania · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    “Originally posted by @Daiana Wheeler:

    I am with Real. It's a cloud brokerage and I really love it. The support is great and fees are awesome.

    Joinreal.com”

    How long is the process of obtaining Real as a sponsoring broker? Does it take weeks to get started? I recently passed my real estate exams in PA btw.

  • Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I'm with Real as well - the process to get started (once you have your license) is pretty quick; figure 1-2 weeks to get started and onboarded. (longer with the holidays, and if the state board drags its feet)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.