When is it time to call the seller directly instead of broker?

When is it time to call the seller directly instead of broker?

Real Estate Agent · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 67 votes

We all know connecting with some agents/brokers are difficult.  Have you ever reached the point, where you felt it was appropriate to contact the seller directly for showing?  If so how long did this take to you decide. i do not want to undermine a fellow agent but my loyalty is to my client and believe I need to do whats in their best interest.   

I am trying to determine if I am being unreasonable or to impatient and looking for advice.  Its been almost a week and I am really frustrated.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

Going around the agent directly to the seller is an ethics violation. So It isnt something Id suggest unless you want a fine or license suspension.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Going around the agent directly to the seller is an ethics violation. So It isnt something Id suggest unless you want a fine or license suspension.

  • Developer · London · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    The only justification for this would be if the realtor is unresponsive. Other than that, it is morally unjust to essentially cut the realtor out of their commission. It's not worth it in the long-term to be unethical as you should be focusing on building long-term relationships, next time the realtor has a great deal, he could relay that information over to you but if you decide to cut him out of this, there's no chance they'll ever work with you in the future.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    Uggg...I was afraid of that.  Thank you @Russell Brazil!  I am really annoyed and trying to find a solution. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Maria McCreless:

    Uggg...I was afraid of that.  Thank you @Russell Brazil!  I am really annoyed and trying to find a solution. 

     Just have your manager call their manager with a friendly hey Id like to see this property and we couldnt get in contact with the agent.  Do not call their manager yourself.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    Just to be clear, definitely not trying to cut the agent out. Agent is responding, within 24 hours but keeps telling me she will let me know when I can show the two vacant units but hasn't scheduled as of now.  I just want to show the property.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2017 · 135 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    @Russell Brazil, she's the owner of the firm and is broker of record.  I do not believe she has any agents who work for her and is also the property manager. 

  • Spring Lake, NC · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    I just came from a similar situation.  It cost me a 45 unit deal.  Im hoping that the investors I did make contact with during the process do not hold it against me in future deals.  It was a simple lack of communication with the seller and I felt I could not go around the agent (that I worked for).   I felt handcuffed throughout.  

    I have my license.  I did not get them to be an agent, but to have more avenues open to servicing clients, networking  and finding leads.  I do not agree with cutting out a realtor who is looking for their cut of commission, but it is a 2 way street.  You also have a duty to your client.  This is probably the reason a lot of investors say to not get your license.   

    You have a client and a property that may meet their requirements and an unresponsive agent is creating a needless roadblock.  It only takes minutes to set up a showing in the CSS if there is a lock box, but they have to do it.   It does not seem that they are servicing their client very well to have a possible buyer waiting around for a phone call.    

    Not a pro, but just my opinion from experience.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    Your MLS rules should dictate when you can contact the seller directly. My mls states after 24 hours of not being able to connect with agent or broker I can go directly to seller for showings or negotiations.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.