Can a Agent do Off-Market deals without being under a broker?

Can a Agent do Off-Market deals without being under a broker?

Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes

Hi All,

I'm a licensed agent in Alabama that had to have my license put on inactive status because my broker had to let go of all non-realtors (some realtor thing).

Anyway, so now I have to reinstate my license and find another broker. However, no other broker can take me because I'm not a Realtor or their requiring me to become a Realtor as soon as I reinstate my license. I don't have that kind of money and was working on deals to be able to pay for the fees.


When my license becomes active again and I'm not with a broker can I do Off-Market/Wholesale deals until I get with a broker?

I've contacted my commission and they are very funny with words, however, they say that I can do deals as long as I am active.

Has anyone been in this situation before and have you done off-market deals to get by?

0Reply
45 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Being licensed costs money, just the way it is. If you want to buy and sell properties on behalf of others or to collect commissions then yoi have to be licensed.

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    7y

    @Kaliya Nikole

    If you are that cash strapped are you sure you want to be an agent? It takes some money and investment to invest in yourself so if you do it again why do you think things will turn out differently this time? I was an agent and although nearly everybody I work with treats me like one I have not been an agent for over 8 years. All the realtor tasks like showing homes and writing offers my wife who is a realtor handles and all the back end tasks and dealing with the off market marketing I handle. If I had to I have no question I could succeed as an agent especially with the experience I have just focusing on my tasks but we win more focusing on our specific tasks as a team. Maybe you can carve out a niche doing something in support of a successful agent.

  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Kaliya Nikole why did you get your license if you do not have the funds to get started? There are non realtor brokers out there but you will not have access to the MLS or anything else.

    Get some cash together and do things the right way if you want to represent clients.

  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Being licensed costs money, just the way it is. If you want to buy and sell properties on behalf of others or to collect commissions then yoi have to be licensed.

     She is licensed, she is not a Realtor

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brandon L.:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Being licensed costs money, just the way it is. If you want to buy and sell properties on behalf of others or to collect commissions then yoi have to be licensed.

     She is licensed, she is not a Realtor

     Im aware, but many areas simply dont have brokerages that are not board members, and I think all agents should join the board.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.