Does it make sense for REI to purchase a RE brokerage company?

Does it make sense for REI to purchase a RE brokerage company?

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I guess it's like the buy vs. build question. At some point, most investors think about getting their broker's license. There are advantages and disadvantages as pointed out in several places, including this blog: Investors: Should You Get Your Real Estate License?

For investors (or investment companies) that outsource their property management (PM) functions and are also active in purchasing and selling real estate, I'm thinking one option is for the investor to purchase, either entirely or a percentage (e.g. 50%), a brokerage company. My gut tells me it all comes down to numbers. If the commission (sales, rental, buyer's broker) numbers work in a way such that the investor can direct commission dollars to a "friendly" brokerage where the investor has some (or much) control, I don't see why an investor wouldn't buy a brokerage.

Has anyone else done this? Or have you considered this?

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    14y

    The barriers to entry for them to do it themselves is pretty small. My partner got his broker's license and now we have a DBA that all commission and pm fees are funneled too.

    I could see investors being interested, but I don't think they will pay very much upfront. More likely a % of all transactions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.