How to tell a Realtor you are going to go with someone else?

How to tell a Realtor you are going to go with someone else?

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote

Hi BP, 

So I've decided that I'll be going with a different Realtor. .. My questions is, how do I professionally and politely let my current realtor know that I'll no longer be working with them. They have been great and have shown me many properties, but when it came down to it, I really did not feel like they had my best interest at heart. We are not in contract.

If you have any experience with this, please comment below. I would really appreciate it. 

0Reply
191 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
6y

Just be up front.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y

    Just be up front.

  • Real Estate Agent · Albany, NY · Member since 2017 · 309 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    Hey @Mark Mo I'd just be straight up with the person. You can do it over the phone or even over email. I tend to respect people more if they're straight up and tell them the truth. 

  • Brad MillerPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Duluth, GA · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 45 votes
    6y

    Just be honest with them.  Feedback is very important when you're working in the "people" business.  You can't worry about how someone is going to take the feedback, it will be up to them if they take it to heart and use it to improve the way they do business.  

    But honesty is best.  It's frustrating to  be fired by a customer and never know why.  So let them know why.

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thanks for your suggestion @Nate Monson @Russell Brazil 

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Great insight. Thanks! @Brad Miller 

  • Real Estate Agent · Ormond Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 216 posts · 158 votes
    6y

    Please just say something!  It is so disheartening to be ghosted by a customer and not know what you did wrong or why they have stopped responding.  Anything you say is better than saying nothing.  Good Luck!

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Kristin Kiddy Thank you for your insight. 

  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    It’s just a professional breakup, give constructive feedback and fair rules so they can take something from the experience. 

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 865 posts · 351 votes
    6y

    @Mark Mo What the others said was good advise. If you spent a lot of their time they want to make something though. Is there a way to compensate them financially for their time? I’m not a realtor lover per say, but it is common for newbies to waste everybody’s time talking a good game. ( not saying that was you. )

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Joel S. Good idea, I will look around to see what I can do. Just btw, we had full intentions of going through with the realtor. This is very unfortunate and something I absolutely did not expect to happen. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.