Realtor · Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 39 votes
Hello!
I take my real estate exam on 25 July 2020. I am in the process of interviewing brokerages and would like to here your opinion. I've been considering one of the bigger places like Coldwell, Century 21, Keller-Williams, or Windermere due to the fact the bigger companies have a great support structure for new agents and a solid lead generation system.
Here's what I'm looking for in a brokerage:
Good support structure for a new agent
Love to focus on veterans/investors
Willing to do residential and commercial
Low commission fees unless the company provides solid lead generation (wouldn't mind having a brokerage with less fees if I can use that money for advertising/direct mailers to provide my own leads)
More looking for a non-compete, but I'll go anywhere if it can sustain a comfortable quality of life.
For all of my experienced agents what should I be looking for in a brokerage? What questions should I be asking? Starting my interviews this week
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 240 posts · 155 votes
6y
Hi Jacob.
When you're interviewing brokerages, remember that each local office is always going to be a little different. A brokerage might have a good reputation for one aspect, but a specific office might not excel at it. Commission splits and fees are usually different for each office as well, make sure that you get a clear number from the offices that you're looking to interview with.
I would personally recommend eXp realty if you're looking for lower fees and more freedom to do your own marketing. We also get to keep 100% commission on 3 personal transactions every year if you're looking to use your license as an investor.
There's no "perfect" brokerage for any one agent, everyone has a different goal for what they're looking to do with their license. What you should be looking for in a brokerage is how the specific brokerage model fits your personal goals and how it can help you in achieving them.
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 240 posts · 155 votes
6y
Hi Jacob.
When you're interviewing brokerages, remember that each local office is always going to be a little different. A brokerage might have a good reputation for one aspect, but a specific office might not excel at it. Commission splits and fees are usually different for each office as well, make sure that you get a clear number from the offices that you're looking to interview with.
I would personally recommend eXp realty if you're looking for lower fees and more freedom to do your own marketing. We also get to keep 100% commission on 3 personal transactions every year if you're looking to use your license as an investor.
There's no "perfect" brokerage for any one agent, everyone has a different goal for what they're looking to do with their license. What you should be looking for in a brokerage is how the specific brokerage model fits your personal goals and how it can help you in achieving them.
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
6y
Hi @Jacob Stewart - I do know that there are some active eXp agents in CDA, and I LOVE eXp! It's national/international, and has grown 15,000 agents since I joined. I mentor new eXp agents in the Boise area - and can probably connect you with someone there. So much training available. Your brokerage is a great support system, but you are the one who is going to be doing the majority of the lead generation, no matter where you go unless you join a team that is lead generating for you.
Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 121 posts · 73 votes
6y
I concur with Jonna that you shouldn't count on your brokerage to generate leads for you. Join the company that caters to the niche you want to be in. For example, if it is investment property, are they known for that listing inventory; is it new construction; waterfront property; do they do property management; vacation rentals; etc.
Also, think of a Real Estate Prenuptial Agreement (grin). What happens when you leave them and join a different brokerage or start your own? What type of technology do they offer and does that cost more? Higher splits are absolutely fine as long as they generate additional revenue to offset that additional fee. Do your own cost/benefit analysis not just the splits.