I have buyers who I spent the last 3 months driving all over the county showing properties to. We recently took a ‘pause’ as they paid off debt to get a higher preaproval. Then, yesterday I came across a Facebook photo of them with another agent and a ‘sold’ sign. Is there anything I can do? We signed a buyer agency agreement but my broker told me those are barely enforceable and not worth the time to pursue legal action.
Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
5y
I am surprised I am the first one to say this but, @John Apple was the property they bought one you had presented them, did a showing of, ran analysis on, or anything in any manner? Or is this just a complaint that another agent got done what you couldn't?
I know, that last sentence probably stings a bit, and that's good, it should. Don't be a coward, lean into it, you whiffed for 3 months and they jumped in bed with another who hit a home run in an instance, feel the pain, don't shy away, because when you can accept this the next thing is moving from anger to "WTF did that agent do that I didn't" and NOW your onto whats going to make the most value out of all this.
If you want to make it in business, especially real estate, you gotta wear Rhino skin! Take nothing personal and everything seriously, fail-UP, regularly and repeatedly.
The #1 BEST thing you could do is call those clients, and CONGRATULATE them! And own it, tell them you really felt horrible that despite all the hours and effort you put into it for so long that then they bought with this other agent, but really happy they found there home and in the end that's what matters and was the point in the first place. Than when your back friends, and they feel a sense of guilt, which they will ESPECIALLY with you being so nice and happy for them, then say "hey, just curious because I'd love to best understand, what is it we could have done better?" And guess what, they may say you did great, and that they feel so bad about it, but they know ___ who's thinking of selling, and their one friend at work looking to buy, and, and, and.... Next thing you know you walk out with 4 clients and transactions for sacrificing 1, because you swallowed your ego, focused on learning and growing, results vs being "right".
Real Estate Agent · Youngtown Ohio · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 46 votes
3y
Going through something similar right now as well. I showed a house on Memorial Day and these people took there good ole time and brought like 15 people with them. They ended up writing an offer with another agent ugh sucks!
Procuring cause isn't just showing them a house or several houses. Have you been following up? When was the last time you talked to them? Who would you go after for the lost commission? Buyers? The other agent? Can you imagine how that would look online or in the paper? Local agent sues new home buyer for commission?
Real Estate Agent · New Jersey/New York · Member since 2023 · 22 posts · 50 votes
3y
Sorry to hear that, John. I have had similar situations like that happen to me as well. I decided to take a different approach on how to deal with it. I reached out to the clients and congratulated them and wished them well. Even though I bit my tongue on this, in the end you realize that you are the better person. In fact, I actually got a referral from one client who expressed to me how impressed they were of my professionalism (even though I think they were embarrassed about how they handled the "going behind my back" situation).