Is Real Estate License worth it for an investor?

Is Real Estate License worth it for an investor?

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

As a complete beginner to real estate investing, I have been contemplating taking real estate courses and getting a license to learn the ropes. I currently do not own any properties and plan on my own house being my first property as I feel like it's a good way to try and get a good deal on my first home and some experience as an investor at the same time.

I am currently in a comfortable position work-wise and wouldn't be looking for agent work to replace my current job, so it would be part-time and mostly to get comfortable with the in's and out's of buying/selling properties.

Would this be a worthwhile endeavor or is the time & effort better spent diving into buying my own properties and learning as I go?

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2021 · 263 posts · 122 votes
5y

Between books, podcast, and YouTube, I'm not sure what you'll gain from having your license. Join your local REI meetings and see how others got their start in your area. You could dedicate the same about of time you would taking the course to self study and likely come out just as ahead if not more.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2021 · 263 posts · 122 votes
    5y

    Between books, podcast, and YouTube, I'm not sure what you'll gain from having your license. Join your local REI meetings and see how others got their start in your area. You could dedicate the same about of time you would taking the course to self study and likely come out just as ahead if not more.

    • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Cody Lewis:

      Between books, podcast, and YouTube, I'm not sure what you'll gain from having your license. Join your local REI meetings and see how others got their start in your area. You could dedicate the same about of time you would taking the course to self study and likely come out just as ahead if not more.

      Thanks Cody,

      Appreciate the timely response. I was beginning to suspect as much through my current self-studies. Do you see any possible advantages to one approach over the other (networking with other agents and buyers), or would they likely both end up the same and self-study just gets me there quicker and cheaper.

      One of the reasons I began entertaining the idea is that I was contemplating starting off as a wholesaler while I build the cash to do my own deals and thought it might be a good way to build a network of buyers.
  • Dave PoeppelmeierBusiness Member
    Realtor · Maumee, OH · Member since 2015 · 491 posts · 722 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Walter If you're just trying to gain knowledge, then absolutely not. Like @Cody Lewis said, listen to the BP podcasts, read, watch YouTube Videos, go to your local Investor groups, etc. If you want to eventually make it your career, then go ahead and get your license, but know that it is going to take a lot of work on both the Investor and Realtor fronts. 

    If you're buying your first house, see if you can house hack in your area. There's tons of articles/podcasts on BP on how to do that. That way, you're buying your first Investment and putting a roof over your head at the same time. Good luck!

    Keller Williams Citywide | Dave Poeppelmeier534 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    Been there, done that. No.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.