Looking to put 20-25% down on a 70K home

Looking to put 20-25% down on a 70K home

Granada Hills, CA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 3 votes
Hi,

I've heard that lenders don't typically provide that small of loans? How true is that? I've tried calling a few lenders, but I guess with the timezone difference, they aren't available currently. If anyone knows lenders that can offer conventional loans for let's say 50,000 mortgage, please let me know. Thanks!
3Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
1y

Many lenders tend to walk away from smaller loan amounts (typically under $75K) because the margins don’t justify the underwriting and processing costs.

I talk to many DSCR lenders and some might consider it, but realistically, if you're looking in markets like Cleveland, you're better off targeting higher purchase prices. I've seen the areas where these low priced deals usually pop up, and in most cases, they come with higher risk and weaker tenant base. I'd advice you to look elsewhere if you're aiming for long term stability and financing ease.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Why?

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    1y

    Many lenders tend to walk away from smaller loan amounts (typically under $75K) because the margins don’t justify the underwriting and processing costs.

    I talk to many DSCR lenders and some might consider it, but realistically, if you're looking in markets like Cleveland, you're better off targeting higher purchase prices. I've seen the areas where these low priced deals usually pop up, and in most cases, they come with higher risk and weaker tenant base. I'd advice you to look elsewhere if you're aiming for long term stability and financing ease.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    There are DSCR lenders that will do loans as low as 50k. I did a couple DSCR loans in September with purchase prices of 75k and 70k. I even put these loans in my personal name vs my LLC.

  • Lender · Sarasota FL · Member since 2025 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    That is awfully low loan amount. You might have better luck with private money. All my investors only go down to 95k total loan amount. You are looking at 53k loan, well below the norm of 100k. You might get better terms, and quicker ROI with a personal loan.

  • Ko KashiwagiPro Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 967 posts · 445 votes
    1y

    Hi Petros,

    Most lenders can't go that low but options are out there. I've financed plenty of deals at 70-75k both long term or short term. Happy to take a look

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.