My multi-million dollar first deal at 20 years old

My multi-million dollar first deal at 20 years old

Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 16 votes

Yesterday, I closed on my first commercial deal. It is a $2.3 million student housing deal in Oxford Ohio. I have been taught how to evaluate commercial deals from Jeff Greenberg (who was on BP #115). I am also learning to syndicate commercial deals, which is how me and Jeff closed on this property. If you are going to get started in real estate, make sure you have a mentor. I would consider Jeff my mentor. All you have to do is go to a Real Estate Investment Club and find out what you want to do and learn from someone in that field. 

I see real estate as a way to have cashflow to reach financial freedom and retirement. I am 20 years old and I am going to college currently. I have time for compound interest to work on my side. 

I see this deal as a start to get the ball rolling. I want to do many more deals and build up my passive income and assets. I see syndication as a good way to acquire larger properties and achieve passive income. 

Have a good day. 

Nick 

13Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Vinny MaidaPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Arnold, MD · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 11 votes
11y

Well done Nick and great advice on getting a mentor.  They can make all the difference.

How did you find this deal... Local... Mentor.... Loop net????

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Nick West:

    Yesterday, I closed on my first commercial deal. It is a $2.3 million student housing deal in Oxford Ohio. I have been taught how to evaluate commercial deals from Jeff Greenberg (who was on BP #115). I am also learning to syndicate commercial deals, which is how me and Jeff closed on this property. If you are going to get started in real estate, make sure you have a mentor. I would consider Jeff my mentor. All you have to do is go to a Real Estate Investment Club and find out what you want to do and learn from someone in that field. 

    I see real estate as a way to have cashflow to reach financial freedom and retirement. I am 20 years old and I am going to college currently. I have time for compound interest to work on my side. 

    I see this deal as a start to get the ball rolling. I want to do many more deals and build up my passive income and assets. I see syndication as a good way to acquire larger properties and achieve passive income. 

    Have a good day. 

    Nick 

    Do you mind sharing the break down from beginning to closing? People are bound to want to know all of the details. Thanks in advance.

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Nick Westand @Jeff Greenberg, congrats!! I don't live too far away from your property. Was this a syndication or did you only bring your own money to the deal? 

  • Vinny MaidaPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arnold, MD · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Well done Nick and great advice on getting a mentor.  They can make all the difference.

    How did you find this deal... Local... Mentor.... Loop net????

  • Wolcott, CT · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 49 votes
    11y

    @Nick West Way to go man! Huge accomplishment!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Congrats.  Interested in hearing any details you can share on this deal.

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Nick West That's amazing, congratulations! As others have shared would love to hear more about the deal and your role in pulling it together, especially as your first deal.

  • Flipper · Wooster, OH · Member since 2012 · 139 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    @Nick West

    Excellent, way to go!

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Inspirational. Great work. Can't wait to hear more in the future. 

  • Investor & Contractor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    I flipped a student rental in Oxford last year with another investor, good area.  Curious how many properties that entailed all together?  Haven't seen that large of action up there besides the Universities projects. Curious to hear more about the deal.

  • Investor · Watertown, NY · Member since 2015 · 225 posts · 88 votes
    11y

    We must all know now! Like right meow. But definitely want to hear the details. Early success stories are what keep me on BP!

  • Special Police Officer · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Congrats! Awesome post. The key to success is definitely a good mentor! Way to go

  • Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 16 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Fairless:

    @Nick Westand @Jeff Greenberg, congrats!! I don't live too far away from your property. Was this a syndication or did you only bring your own money to the deal? 

     I know you are based in Cincinnati. I listen to some of your podcasts. This was a syndication. I would wouldnt mind picking your brains on the good areas in Cincinatti. 

  • Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 16 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Justin Thompson:

    I flipped a student rental in Oxford last year with another investor, good area.  Curious how many properties that entailed all together?  Haven't seen that large of action up there besides the Universities projects. Curious to hear more about the deal.

     It was 8 buildings in a portfoli, with most of them being triplexs and a few SFRS and duplexes. In Oxford, you want to be within a mile of the University in the "University Mile". This will increase the demand for the properties because students can walk to campus. The area also gets good rent increases. Around 5 or 6% a year

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Nick West happy to help out with some good area info 

  • Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 16 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Justin Fernandez:

    We must all know now! Like right meow. But definitely want to hear the details. Early success stories are what keep me on BP!

     I started about a year ago learning to underwrite deals for Jeff. I learned what to look for in a property. We did have one under contract in Houston, but that deal fell through. It didnt have enough cashflow for a good deal as we thought. Shortly after, I found a property on loopnet that worked, the one in Oxford that we closed on. 

    At first we thought that this portfolio would be just a steady cashflow deal with organic rent growth gradually raising the NOI and the value of the properties. When Jeff went to inspect the property, he noticed that their were two sister buildings but one building has a 4 studio apartments per floor while the other one has a nice common area with 4 bedrooms (3 floors per building). The common area units rent for much more than the 4 studio apartments. If we convert the units, we will get better rent, increase the NOI on the property and thus the value of the property. We expect about a quarter million value add with the conversions. An additional benefit is the units with a common area rent much sooner with the studio apartments. We already have the nicer units with the common area rented for the 2016-2017 school year. Finding this value add, made the deal that much better.

    The properties are all in a nice college town, at least B class. The demand for the rentals are strong and hasn't seen a vacancy in years. Rental increases are 5% or 6% a year. For student housing, you want to make sure your properties are in walking distance of the school. In Oxford, the "College Mile', all properties within a mile of the university are full. Their is a property in Oxford, a few miles from the campus, that is at 50% occupancy and has gone through bankruptcies. If I were them, I would arrange some shuttle service to the property. 

    After finding the property and putting in an offer, the due diligence started. I learned how to do insurance, surveys, and all the other parts of due diligence. It can be quite a pain trying to organize financing and comparing all the loans but the process necessary. Jeff did most of the fundraising of equity and getting the PPM (private placement memorandum, needed for syndication). It took a little longer than we thought, but we managed  to close and now the fun part of managing the property is just beginning. 

  • Software Engineer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    11y

    Great post. Thanks for sharing and congrats!! 

  • self-employed · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Congrats, @Nick West!

  • Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    how does financing work in such a multi-buidling situation?

  • Investor · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Nick West great job, congrats on the purchase.
  • Investor · Watertown, NY · Member since 2015 · 225 posts · 88 votes
    11y

    Wow! Every time I think I learn something new, I learn that that is just the tip!  I want to see how this progresses as the years go on and on.  Keep me updated!

  • Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 16 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @David Barsantee:

    how does financing work in such a multi-buidling situation?

     You would get a portfolio loan which is just one loan for multiple properties. You have to look for specific lenders that will work with you on a property. We worked with a private bank on this property. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 270 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    Great work @Account Closed How long was the process for this for you from begging to end ?

    Can you give more of a break down on the financing ?

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    That's really awesome. And to start so young too. Goes to show there are no excuses.

  • Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 47 votes
    11y

    Congrats! How did you structure the deal? Are you taking equity, or an acquisition fee, or both?

  • Investor · Minnetonka, MN · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Incredible. Love to hear young investors going for it. Hope that it goes wonderful for you in the future and with this portfolio of properties! @Nick West

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.