Full Time W2/ BRRR side hustle to Financial Independence Update

Full Time W2/ BRRR side hustle to Financial Independence Update

William CollinsPro Member
Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes

Here is an update to an old post I had about my drive to Financial Independence through real estate. My cousin and I began the journey about 5 years ago, while working a W2 job (me) and a business (him). The goal was to BRRRR everything, but we have a lot of equity tied up in the portfolio which we are in the process of refinancing out. All of our properties are Connecticut based, our average property is a gut rehab do our cap ex and repairs are quite low. We are using property management.

Estimated cash flow minimum per partner3858.5
TownNumber of UnitsRent roll Estimated Value
New Britain32650245000
Manchester22500230000
New Britain22600210000
New Britain22450210000
Manchester22250210000
Manchester22650245000
Manchester22750245000
Berlin33950365000
Bristol22300210000
Bristol44745275000
Berlin22550240000
Bristol67190420000
32385853105000
3Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Rocky Mount, NC · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 35 votes
5y

It is nice to be able to work just because. I arrived there Jan 2017. I continued to work and it allowed me to purchase on average 10+ single family homes per year. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon RushPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, CT · Member since 2019 · 761 posts · 849 votes
    5y

    Nice update William! Would love the opportunity to chat with you personally about your experience building this portfolio with your partner if you are available. I am just starting out and hopefully closing on my first property soon. I will send you a private message.

  • Property Manager · CT · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 329 votes
    5y

    Hi William, 

    What a great update. Awesome job!

    It's so great learning about the ins and outs of investing and managing property. It's amazing to get up close to the action of closing and making deals.

    I love that real estate is so multi faceted. The economics, financial, social and mechanical and legal make it fascinating to me.

    Keep up the good work and continue to post. This is very inspiring for newbies and seasoned investors.

    -Craig Bellot

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Great job @William Collins. It’s been great seeing your portfolio grow with quality properties over the years. Hard work pays off. This guy is relentless and it shows in the results. 

  • Hartford, CT · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Hi William, 

    More power to you. 

    This is so motivating, I think I'm on the same track.I have a W2 job and I invest with my cousin who owns a business. I currently own 15 units worth $1.1M+ and we started early this year. 

  • William CollinsPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    5y

    @Chirag Gulati the biggest single drag I had was having things not aligned to the strategy. We flipped three houses and frankly the slow down that made on our multifamily BRRR strategy was tremendous. Looking at trying to get another 7 units possibly by the end of the year.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Francisco Bay Area, CA · Member since 2012 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @William Collins Love this! At what point did you realize you were ready to cut off the 8-5? Any advice/tips for a new investor like myself hoping to do the same? Thank you!

  • William CollinsPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    5y

    @Tracy Dear if I was self managing I could now, but I like my job. So right now, I am saving in my 401k and maxing out my HSA. I am headed for fat FI, so I can do everything I want.

  • Property Manager · Rocky Mount, NC · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    It is nice to be able to work just because. I arrived there Jan 2017. I continued to work and it allowed me to purchase on average 10+ single family homes per year. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Unadilla NY · Member since 2017 · 418 posts · 297 votes
    5y

    That's awesome William congrats and thanks for sharing!   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.