I'm very new to this whole renovation process. I have helped my family with a couple SFR remodels. But this is my first time going it alone particularly in Southern California. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm in the market for a small multi family in Los Angeles. Many of the properties in my price range could use some updating.
To any contractors/ handy men working in the Los Angles area. What problems do you run into in California 3-4 unit multifamily buildings built in the 1940s-1950s.
Can anyone comment on the permitting requirements to put in new kitchens, bathrooms, flooring and paint on 1-2 bedroom apartments? I have heard that California can ask for certain things to be fixed when you do a remodel. What should I look out when purchasing houses of this era. Are there any building elements that I should stay away from? Steel/Aluminum Pipes, Aluminum wires ect? How common are these issues?
Rental Property Investor · Dana Point, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 32 votes
3y
1. Old “knob and tube” electrical wiring - Needs immediate replacement. 2. Old electrical panels like Zinsco or Stablok - Needs immediate replacement as they are a hazard (Google it).
3. Asbestos - apparently is not an issue if you don’t disturb it, but most people don’t want it there and it’s expensive to coordinate professional removal. 4. Leaks in roofs or windows that have resulted in mold (often enclosed in a wall and not visible).