Question Regarding Alleged Encroachment – MiniSplit Installation

Question Regarding Alleged Encroachment – MiniSplit Installation

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes

I am writing with a question regarding a reported encroachment related to a recent MiniSplit installation at my property.

The branch box was installed on the exterior wall of my home as part of a permitted installation. A permit was properly pulled for this work, and due to applicable code requirements, the system could not be installed on the opposite side of the house.

There is a narrow shared walkway between my property and my neighbor’s, and I understand they contacted the town claiming the branch box is on their property. I would like to clarify that the installation was completed in compliance with the approved permit and applicable code requirements.

I will be providing a photo of the current installation for reference. Please note that the wiring shown is temporary and exposed only because the contractor was instructed to stop work. Once completed, all wiring and components will be fully secured and concealed in accordance with code and standard installation practices.

Given the concerns being raised, I would also appreciate guidance on how future maintenance or replacement of my siding would be handled should access to this area become necessary.

Additionally, the neighboring property regularly uses the shared walkway to drain water, which often results in dirt and debris being washed into my front yard.

I have attempted to coordinate with the building inspector regarding this matter; however, they have been unavailable to date and have indicated they plan to visit on Monday. In the meantime, I would appreciate guidance on whether any further action is required on my end.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

0Reply
68 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 934 votes
    9mo

    From looking at the picture, I am guessing your property is the left side wall and the neighbor raising the issue is the right side. Is that correct? If so...

    You probably need to do a little research on what what space you own and the definition of the ownership or easement creating the shared space. Some communities are setup such that you don't own an inch beyond your building footprint and everything must be approved by an HOA. In other situations, an easement is defined with permitted uses. Research those two topics to learn more.

    Don't retaliate with claims about water flow. Deal with it if it is a real issue, but not in response to the neighbor's complaint.

    You didn't mention it, so I will ask: Have you talked with your neighbor about this? I've seen situations where Left Owner decides to do something potentially affecting Right Owner, but doesn't think or care about Right Owner, and doesn't talk with Right at all. Right is offended and complains to the town without talking to Left at all. They argue by proxy, make each other miserable rather than communicating with each other, sue each other and spend a fortune avoiding direct communication because they progressively piss each other off. Don't be that Left. Talk directly with your neighbor if you haven't already. It may make this situation much easier to resolve.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.