What permits to remodel bathroom, kitchen, and install central AC

What permits to remodel bathroom, kitchen, and install central AC

Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes

Hello,

I'm slowly starting work on the property I just bought and I need some help. Unfortunately I could not find out too much from the local building department.

Anyway, the house was flooded. The bathroom and kitchen were ripped out. My goal is to put in a new kitchen and a new bathroom. The walls were fixed by the previous owner so they are all new. I'm not taking down any sheetrock. In the bathroom I'm doing the plumbing, tiling, new shower, toilet, and sink all in the same locations. Not changing anything around. 

In the kitchen, I'm doing the plumbing, tiling, new stove, cabinets etc. 

I'm NOT touching anything electrical anywhere. The outlets are staying where they are. 

What permits do I need? The town gave me an electrical permit application and I don't believe I need it... So here I am looking for some advice.

What I do know, is that I need a plumbing permit (obviously). 

Do I need a construction permit and a building permit? Do I need an electrical permit if I'm not even going to touch the wires? 

While I'm at it, I plan to put central AC in the house. What permits do I need for that? Electrical, plumbing and... construction or building permit? or both?

I have never been this confused... The town is not the best source for information as they are known for looking for revenue. They are ready to make me get and pay for every permit they have available. What do I do? I would appreciate any and all help and guidance I can get from you guys. The property is in Manville, NJ. 

0Reply
26 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    The best you can do is ask the city, each is different, one city might make you pull a permit for changing outlets, one might not. Basic rule of thumb is, if you touch it, you permit it. List down all your scope, if you're a newbie, list what is old/existing on the left, then what you want on the right, it should give the city a fair idea that you're a do it yourself guy. Categorize it per category or per job type (kitchen, bathroom, shower, etc).

  • Plumbing Contractor · Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Hi, I live in Oregon but here usually the city does know everything you need, they are the ones who have the final say, I would think, but if you feel they are giving you the run around, you could call  plumbing, electrical, etc. companies and run it by a couple of them. Sometimes you can ask the city to come out and do a walk through with you and tell you all the permits you need, but not every municipality does that. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    10y

    @Jake Recz There's little point in asking us what we think you need; your city knows exactly what you need and you'll just have to comply (even if you don't agree or understand).  If the house was flooded, then you almost certainly will have to have electrical work done.  Good luck with your project!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.