Ben C.
  • Metuchen, NJ
Votes |
Plumbing

Ben C.
  • Metuchen, NJ
Posted Sep 30 2016, 10:20

Hey everyone,

I am working on a project right now that involved removing an oil tank. As a result, I now have to update the heating system to a forced air system. I do still have the piping for the old radiant heat system. 

However, everything i am hearing from my real estate agent is all buyers want forced air now. So as a result that means it is time to remove all of the piping. 

The copper piping is about 60 years old so since everything is exposed now I am leaning towards simply stripping everything out and replacing it with possibly PEX piping for water?

1) Would you guys agree forced air (natural gas) is the way to go for most buyers today?

2) Thoughts on PEX piping?

3) What is the best way to shut off the water in order to have demo company cut and remove all plumbing lines? The shut off valve is older so plumber suggested having water company shut off the main water at the curb, replacing the shut off valve, then having water company turn water back on. Wouldn't it be simpler to simply have water company shut off the water and leave it off until we are ready to have new piping put in?

This way when I list it can say all new plumbing etc. I know for many buyers this is a huge plus. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Loading replies...