Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NH · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 27 votes
I am closing on a quad in Rochester NH next week that needs everything.
I have been amazed at the low level of sales/service/business that local contractors have offered. I am at the scheduling estimates stage and have been calling all trades. I have discovered a few with no voicemail, a few with generic default voicemail, most never return the multiple calls. I am fine with those who have said "I don't do technology", but I think returning phone calls is a minimum.
I did find one company that had a really good process (New England Roofing)... two day turnaround guarantee for estimate and "one day roofing". I filled out their form and received testimonials and other daily marketing in my email. Never got a real person on the phone or any real feedback. Crazy.
Right now, I need estimates for Roofing, Electrical, HVAC. Any one have a referral?
Investor · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 3 votes
9y
Raymond McGill where is the property located?
I would recommend east coast for HVAC, and artisan electric. Both are out of Portsmouth I believe. I have a great roofers card at home, I will try and round it up tonight.
Who do you use for plumbing?
Good luck!
Investor · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 3 votes
9y
Raymond McGill where is the property located?
I would recommend east coast for HVAC, and artisan electric. Both are out of Portsmouth I believe. I have a great roofers card at home, I will try and round it up tonight.
Who do you use for plumbing?
Good luck!
Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NH · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 27 votes
9y
Hi, James! I have always gone the house hacking route and done most of my own work. For supply-side plumbing, I've always demo'd the copper and replaced with Pex myself.
The quad property is in Rochester. Thanks for the referrals!
Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes
9y
Hi Raymond,
I have worked with a gentleman named Brian at BK Electric to do much of my electrical work. He prices fair and does a good job. He mainly works in the Manchester area, but may take work up in Rochester.
Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NH · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 27 votes
9y
Today was a good REI contractor day! Instead of getting all voicemails (some people I've called 4 or 5 times), I got real people on the phone and setup 5 different estimates. @James Petro One of these was your referral, James, so thank you. I ensured they knew it was you that sent them business. I still need another roofing estimate if you can dig up that card. I definitely owe you a {BeverageOfChoice}.
Dover, NH · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 4 votes
9y
@Raymond McGill Did you ever end up finding a good contractor? My husband and I will be purchasing our next property in the next few months (hopefully) and we are focusing on distressed properties in our search. Finding a good contractor has proven difficult, nobody seems to respond to calls or voicemail.
Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NH · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 27 votes
9y
I have discovered that contractors and realtors feel that low end investors aren't the best customers. I did find some companies (would have to dig up my notes). That quad in Rochester was quoted at $100k to fix, and was just too much risk. The bank selling it didn't have its paperwork together, and defaulted on the contract (I didn't extend).
I don't have a real referral, because I haven't hired anyone. I am pretty sure all my quotes were crazy because no one wanted the job because they can make more money much easier with homeowners.
Goto a REI meeting (that isn't trying to take your money) and talk to people.
Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NH · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 27 votes
9y
I didn't mean to come across negative there on the fee based REI meetings. They are well run and have justified their existence in our free market. My suggestion is connect with others and read up on how to hire contractors.