Real Estate Investor · Keller, TX · Member since 2010 · 16 posts · 1 vote
15y
Depending on where you are located, we do rehabs for investors in the DFW Area as well as our own properties. If you are needing just a handyman....maybe somebody else can recommend someone.
Homeowner · Toronto, ON · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 0 votes
15y
It depends on the geography, but HomeStars.com may have reviews on local contractors. Similar to Angie's List but free.
Do other checks too. One website is good, but the standard checks also apply. Make sure their insurance is up-to-date, etc.
Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
i am having a very, very hard time finding reasonably priced contractors. i have been working with 1 contractor and he is not giving me deals at all. Right now i have asked him to give me price to hang 11 cabinets and the price is $800. HD charges $690, he is charging more.
i gutted 8x6 bathroom and to hang drywall and mud, he is asking $1200. that's nuts.
and he has already gotten so much business from him that i was expecting a better price.
80% of the contractors either do not come to the appointment, do not bid on the job or do not get back to me on time. but then they complain about the economy and how they are not making money. after they finish complaining, they tell me that they are taking a vacation for the next few days, so my quote will come next week.
Realtor · Western WA · Member since 2012 · 25 posts · 7 votes
14y
A good idea is to call local home improvement stores (Ace Hardware, local small lumber yards) and ask if they can refer contractors or subs. Give them a few of your expectations, Ask who they would use. Even so, there may still be some trial and error. My father has been a general contractor for 30 years and he is still looking for decent plumbers. Good luck!
Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
14y
I've actually used craigslist on several occasions in different states and have been very happy with results. If you find one there, research to check out that state licensing is current, reviews, etc. Just recently found a great electrician and plumber in Chesapeake, and found a painter 3 years ago in Raleigh that I used in all 3 homes there as he works at reduced rate on weekends when his boss doesn't need him, brings all his own ladders & supplies and even fixes drywall when needed. Emphasize checking licensing on actual state's websites, they usually have a list where you can plug in a name or have a number to call. Have found that even if they say they are licensed and insured on craigslist, many of them are not, so do your research first.
Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
14y
I would try to avoid all web sites (other than cl or online free classifieds - still careful there), angies list and service magic people generally try and charge more, as they are a type of referral with credibility. Word of mouth referrals from trusted acquaintances / fiends have lead me to by far the best general handymen I have worked with. If you have any people in any trade that you like and trust, often they associate with like minded people and maybe they will have a referral for you.
Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
14y
Craigslist is a mixed bag. I've had good luck with Service Magic the one time I used them and that was by accident really. I think the most imporant thing is to just not pay until they are done if you haven't worked with them before. If they need supplies, tell them to round them up and you will swing by and pay for it yourself. Recently, I had some guys come out to spray some attic insulation. They said that the machine they rent from home depot was broken so they would have to come back. They did some prep work (picking up some stuff in the attic and also hanging duct work which is probably unnecessary) and then wanted payment for materials and what they just did. I told the guy I'd pay him when he was done and if he needed cash for materials I could pay for them and he could pick them up. He was real cool and professional about it...............then never showed up again. He also did not return my phone calls. I'm pretty sure that guy was totally trying to scam me and I'm glad I did not give him any money. I really didn't even have a distrust for him either. I found another guy on CL and he came out and did a great job for a good price.
Other investors who have already acquired good valued labor is who I seek out for referrals. I fing that many investors really don't have a go-to guy. They are hard to come by. Not of any help to anyone that doesn't live around me, but my neighbor is an excellent carpentar and works with skill for 20/hour. He will help me out a little cheaper. In fact, he will be rebuilding a 50 ft fence section for me this week for about 200-250 bucks, I buy the material.
Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
14y
getting referrals from the store employees is hit or miss. I go to contractors only stores and get referrals from them (or call a windows wholesaler that do not sell to homeowners and ask them for a few names). even that is a hit or miss since the contractors think they already have you as a client no matter what price they give you.
I recently went to a siding/gutter place and asked them for a few names, and they said "Can't think of anyone". That tells you how well they know their contractors.
Brian, i just did attic insulation myself. With the rebate from the local gas company, i am actually making money.
Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
14y
Ask for referals from other investors, and realtors. When you are there stop in on other rehab projects and talk to the contractors. This is like hiring for any position, you have to vette a lot of people to find a great one.
Realtor · Western WA · Member since 2012 · 25 posts · 7 votes
14y
You're right Jon K. There may not be an easy way to do this. Hopefully those investors and Realtors can give good referrals. By contacting them, at least you will hopefully weed out the really bad subs or contractors.
Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
14y
I have out of state rentals and was referred to my contractor by a fellow investor. I have also gotten referrals from good realtors, and also from the local Chamber of Commerce.
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
14y
Well, anyone buying long distance should be buying from a full service company unless they already have relationships in place. Trying to manage a rehab long distance is a nightmare!!! Trying to save a few bucks will end up costing you more in the long run.
Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
14y
this is a good topic and has useful information.
i tried angie's list and they were more expensive. i try not to tell them where i got their number. this way they dont gauge their bid on who referred them to me. sometimes they think i am a lock and give me a higher bit because "so and so gave me your number... i just smile and let them take a hike.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 141 votes
14y
I've tried different methods.. All have been successful to a degree..
1) Craigslist.... I've actually had pretty good results on value workers who do decent work for cheap prices.
2) Locally owned Hardware Stores.... I find the local stores know all the contractors and workers and tend to give pretty solid referrals..
3) Good workers tend to give good referrals. Good carpenters tend to know good painters, plumbers, etc... It's just part of being in the business.
It's a constant balancing act of managing reliable workers that are economical... Many will do great work starting out and eventually get sloppier and less reliable over time.
Best word of advice is don't pay anybody up front unless it's for supplies you personally pick up and pay for.
Check several local to the area REIA clubs call the president and ask for referrals. Check they might have vendors listed you could call.
Consider hiring an off duty firefighter they all have second careers, their rep is important in the community and they are used to working deadlines with their work schedule.
Check out the local BNI chapters BNI.com call the president of the local chapter and ask for a referral, explain to the pres what you are looking for prefer investor pricing etc. Whoever they provide will commit to doing a good job at a fair price because their networking group is important.