Painters - What Am I Missing Here?

Painters - What Am I Missing Here?

Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 20 votes

Hey BP!

So, I'm currently talking to a few painters about taking care of one of the units at my duplex in Winter Haven, FL. Some people I've reached out to have simply provided me with a price per sqft, but 2 of them have asked to come to the house to see it in person. Naturally, I invited them over and the quoted me.

The first guy seemed really knowledgeable and had a portfolio of work to backup his talk. I was impressed with his understanding and professionalism, but there was one issue - the price.. for this 650sqft unit, he was asking $2,400 to paint the walls, ceiling, trim and doors of the intetrior!

The second painter seemed to be working for a much smaller outfit. If I had to guess, C&L (the name of their company) stood for Craig & Lindsey (the names of the people quoting me). Still, they were very professional and understanding about what I was looking for, but for the same job they were only asking for $800.

Now, to me, this looks like a pretty simple choice. I currently rent the other side for $750 a month. It'spossible I could get $800 with a fresh paint job, but even then, spending 3 months worth of rent for paint !? Why not just pay the $800 and then, even if I can't up the rent, at least I'm not out another $1,600. Right?

Let me know what you guys think. Is there really a big difference in an $800 paint job vs a $2,400 paint job? I understand you get what you pay for, but this seems like I might be paying for a bit too much with the first guy. Some of my friends say it's worth it, others think the opposite, but none of them have any experience, so I leave it to you.. what should I do? What would YOU do?

If you want to know more about this estimate, he did provide me scope of work, but it seems like pretty standard stuff. Feel free to ask for more details, I'm here on BP every day now!

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Gary SiverPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Orange Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 83 votes
7y

There are a few unanswered questions.  Is it labor only, you supply material?  What brand and type of paint?  Are they doing prep work?  Does it need to be primed?  How many different colors?  $2400 is high for a vacant property, he probably is busy and doesn’t need/want the job.  $800 is a little low but they might have a gap in their schedule they are trying to fill.  Ask for references and photos.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • HIGHLAND, MD · Member since 2011 · 160 posts · 141 votes
    7y

    Go to a local Sherwin Williams and talk to the manager and tell them you want to speak with an outside salesperson. Call that person and tell them your a landlord with X # of properties and you want to open and account and get some pricing locked in for your repaint materials. Superpaint is pretty nice for interiors but you could drop to Pro 200 or Pro 400 to keep your costs down. Ask the outside sale rep for 3 referrals for small to medium sized painting contractors who do builder and contractor work. You dont want a company that is retail homeowner oriented. They will do a great job but will be 2x the cost of a sub who is more contractor oriented. You supply all the paint, and they supply all the misc supplies and labor. I offer to reimburse my guy for misc supplies if he can give me the receipts. 

  • Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 339 posts · 325 votes
    7y

    @Tim Crosby do you know if both quotes are for spraying or rolling? Different techniques cost different amounts (rolling is more expensive than spraying) so this could also be a factor.

    I just had my own home painted and got multiple quotes. One from a pretty large player here in Seattle was $20k, while the one I went with was half that; a smaller outfit that came highly recommended by friends and other contractors I have worked with. It was the guy with the truck and a crew, not the company with a storefront and fancy vans that cost less

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.