I wish to install Luxury Vinyl flooring on top of my existing wooden floor and actively exploring my best choices. Also I would like to know if I will need a contractor to install LVT here in Northern New Jersey or is it just a simple DIY project? I also have tiles in the basement that tend to get cold in winter, is it a good idea to install on LVT on top of tiles to keep the flooring relatively warmer?
Interior Designer/Real Estate Investor · Eugene, OR · Member since 2013 · 168 posts · 91 votes
5y
LVT is one of the best DIY materials. Be aware of leveling requirements. Over tile might be challenging with the grout lines, depending on how deep/wide they are. Get a Rigid Core LVT - not WPC core. It has a higher PSI for durability. Watch a Youtube on installation and you should be good if you are handy. Also, each brand will come with it's own installation instructions to help out.
Thanks a lot for the very useful tip. Based on current trends do you think LVT gives a better ROI over wooden floor when we sell? Me and my wife were thinking if we should refinish or put LVT on top of existing wood floor, there are also some gaps on wood floor and few areas sound squeaky, besides good looks we find LVT waterproof and soundproof but weren't really sure if it is going to be a value add.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 76 posts · 36 votes
5y
@Ricky Ponting I did my first install of lvp a couple months back. It's challenging at first but after a while I got the hang of it. The hardest part is floor prep work which doesn't seem like it's going to apply to you here. Also, making the cuts were challenging. You'll likely need an orbital saw.