What do I do with a inherited House-

What do I do with a inherited House-

Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 3 votes

I have a house in Bellville and I would like some help on deciding to fix and rent or sell the house, so I may need an agent to discuss the options,  looking at a timeline of 1to 2 months before the house could be listed if that is the best direction.  

1Reply
109 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
Quote from @Tim Aiken:

I have a house in Bellville and I would like some help on deciding to fix and rent or sell the house, so I may need an agent to discuss the options,  looking at a timeline of 1to 2 months before the house could be listed if that is the best direction.  


There's a third option. Sell it rent to own as-is for slightly below the ARV.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Tim Aiken:

    I have a house in Bellville and I would like some help on deciding to fix and rent or sell the house, so I may need an agent to discuss the options,  looking at a timeline of 1to 2 months before the house could be listed if that is the best direction.  

    . 
    Have they cleared Probate yet?
  • Ricardo R.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 661 posts · 581 votes
    11mo

    Hey Tim,

    Congrats on the inheritance — that’s a great opportunity, even if it comes with some big decisions. The first step is figuring out what makes more sense financially and personally:

    1. Fix & Rent:

    If the house is in decent shape and rents well in Bellville, keeping it as a rental can give you steady income and long-term appreciation. Check local rent comps — if you can get a 1% monthly rent-to-value ratio (for example, $2,000/month rent on a $200k home) or at least solid positive cash flow after taxes, insurance, and maintenance, renting might be worth it. You’ll also get depreciation and other landlord tax benefits.

    2. Sell:

    If the house needs heavy work, or you’d rather have the cash and less hassle, selling may be cleaner. With values up in many markets, even a light cosmetic refresh (paint, flooring, curb appeal) can help you get top dollar without a full renovation.

    3. Timeline & agent:

    Since you’re already thinking 1–2 months out, it’s smart to get a local agent to walk the property now. A good agent can tell you (1) what you’d realistically net if you sell as-is vs. after light updates, and (2) what rental demand looks like if you decide to hold.

    Bottom line: if the numbers don’t scream “keeper,” don’t force it. Sometimes the best first investment move is selling right, learning the process, and rolling that capital into something with clearer returns later; I really hope this helps you out, I sent you a DM on BP and hope you can assist too. 

  • Investor · Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Tim Aiken:

    I have a house in Bellville and I would like some help on deciding to fix and rent or sell the house, so I may need an agent to discuss the options,  looking at a timeline of 1to 2 months before the house could be listed if that is the best direction.  


    There's a third option. Sell it rent to own as-is for slightly below the ARV.

  • Casey Ahlbrandt-RainsBusiness Member
    Member since 2025 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Tim Aiken:

    I have a house in Bellville and I would like some help on deciding to fix and rent or sell the house, so I may need an agent to discuss the options,  looking at a timeline of 1to 2 months before the house could be listed if that is the best direction.  


    Tim,

    That's a tricky spot to be in. It's a choppy market to be selling homes in Southeast Michigan at the moment and there doesn't appear to be a shortage of listed properties in Belleville. 

    That said, if there are aspects of the property that set it apart, it may be well suited to list.

    I think the state of the home and the time you are willing to spend are the biggest determining factors.

    I'm right down the road if you would like my perspective on your options.

    Best of luck!

    Douglas Rose Realty
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    11mo

    @Tim Aiken how much knowledge, or time to learn the needed knowledge. do you have to become a landlord?

    Or were you thinking of hiring a PMC?

    You really need to decide ASAP if you want to rent or sell as it will impact the level of repairs.

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Tim Aiken:

    I have a house in Bellville and I would like some help on deciding to fix and rent or sell the house, so I may need an agent to discuss the options,  looking at a timeline of 1to 2 months before the house could be listed if that is the best direction.  

    If it's done correctly, it should be tax free. Check with your CPA. If it's free & clear, keep it as a rental. Or, if it's walkable to the lake, set up a Short Term Rental and cash flow it.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.