Buying & Selling Real Estate Forum

Financing a 4/2 split / closing first deal
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Lexington, Kentucky
Financing a 4/2 split / closing first deal

Hi guys, I've found a 4/2 duplex with 1 car garage on both sides. An older gentleman is selling due to health. It's rented out for $1,000 on one side (recently renovated) and $750 on the other (not renovated). Hes asking 279k. I believe I could get it for $230k and rent both sides for $1,100 comf...

Atlanta Investors - What're you Buying?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta Investors - What're you Buying?

I spend a lot of my day talking with investors across Metro Atlanta, and one thing I’ve noticed is how much buy boxes vary across the market. Some investors are hunting flips, others are focused on rentals, and others are waiting for the right deal. I'm curious what everyone here is targeting hea...

I am purchasing a new primary residence soon. Sell or rent my current primary?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Phoenix, Arizona
I am purchasing a new primary residence soon. Sell or rent my current primary?

We are purchasing a new primary residence in approximately 6 months. Should I sell or rent our current primary. Current home should rent for $2,500 per month. We owe $250k with a 3% mortgage and a HELOC for $150k at 10%. Home will sell around $425k. We currently earn $250k per year and have no ot...

Industrial loft conversion funder meeting question
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Industrial loft conversion funder meeting question

I’m currently putting together a deal to buy an old industrial building and convert it to four loft apartments. It’s going to require some capital to make it happen, and the architect I found for the project collaborated with me on a budget of 1.1 million dollars in cap ex. I’m planning to move i...

Small Commercial Property Question
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Small Commercial Property Question

I have the option to buy a commercial property currently as a seller finance transaction for 36 months. $200k purchase price, $1,650 monthly payment ($1,500 principle + $150 interest) with 10% down for 36 months. At the end of the 36 months I will owe the seller $126,000 lump sum to fulfill the a...

Financing Properties at Auction
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Financing Properties at Auction

I am curious of the methods people use to finance properties purchased at auctions that would be a flip. With a 30 day deadline between when you would need to pay the full bid amount, I can imagine financing would be hard. Would a hard money lender fund this, are there banks that would be able to...

What’s one expense that new rental property investors often underestimate?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
What’s one expense that new rental property investors often underestimate?

I’m trying to get better at analyzing rental deals and I’ve noticed that the obvious expenses like mortgage, taxes, and insurance are usually easy to account for. I’m more curious about the less obvious costs, such as maintenance, vacancy, turnover, property management, or unexpected repairs. Whi...

How Low Can You Go Before Your Offer Becomes an Insult?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Miami, Florida
How Low Can You Go Before Your Offer Becomes an Insult?

Here's something strange about negotiating a property price: almost nobody starts by saying what they're actually willing to do. Seller wants $500,000. I might be willing to pay $470,000. So do I offer $470,000? Of course not. Maybe I offer $440,000 because I expect him to come down and he expect...

Property Inspector advice
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Dallas, Texas
Property Inspector advice

What's the best way to connect with realtors, investors and buyers in my area as a property inspector? I've been upticking my marketing in the last few weeeks by going to open houses and connecting with those agents, passing out business cards, and leaving snacks at the open houses with a brochur...

How much do you typically budget for maintenance when analyzing a rental property?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
How much do you typically budget for maintenance when analyzing a rental property?

I know maintenance costs can vary significantly depending on the property’s age, condition, and type. I’m interested in hearing how other investors estimate this expense before buying. Do you use a percentage of rent, a fixed amount per unit, or another method?

The Saint Paul Duplex Map: Which Neighborhoods Actually Made Money?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
St. Paul, Minnesota
The Saint Paul Duplex Map: Which Neighborhoods Actually Made Money?

I ranked all 16 St. Paul neighborhoods by duplex appreciation over 11 years. The ranking is almost exactly inverse to price. Method below, then the numbers, then where I think it breaks. Tell me what I got wrong. THE DATA 4,064 closed 2-4 unit sales in Saint Paul, December 2012 through September ...

0 votes0 Replies
TURNKEY INVESTING search!
Buying & Selling Real Estate
TURNKEY INVESTING search!

I’m interested in investing in a turnkey property. What are some great markets that would be a great place to invest? any great companies that would provide the property and property management? anyone have experience with turnkeyinvest.com?

When a Property Looks Good on Paper but the Numbers Are Tight, What Do You Do?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
When a Property Looks Good on Paper but the Numbers Are Tight, What Do You Do?

I’ve been thinking about how investors handle deals that are not necessarily bad, but have very little room for error. For example, imagine a rental property where: The purchase price looks reasonable Market rent appears strong The property has positive projected cash flow But taxes, insurance, m...

Sourcing the right funding
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Cleveland, Ohio
Sourcing the right funding

I've came across a couple investors willing to invest into an pre cash flowing convenience store and or smoke shop location but the problem I'm having is in the contracts there putting clauses to where I lose everything even if the business is already empty when I buy it. Who and where do I go to...

Home owners insurance help
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Modesto, California
Home owners insurance help

We are closing on an investment property soon and having difficulty finding a company that will provide us homeowners insurance. The properties roofs are from 1989 and it’s two separate homes on one lot. Most companies are denying coverage for those reasons. Any suggestions for help?

How do you calculate cash-on-cash return when evaluating a rental property?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
How do you calculate cash-on-cash return when evaluating a rental property?

I'm curious how other investors calculate cash-on-cash return when screening rental properties. I usually look at the purchase price, down payment, financing, annual rental income, and operating expenses before estimating the annual cash flow. For example, if a property requires $60,000 of cash i...

Buying in an Expensive Market
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Boca Raton, Florida
Buying in an Expensive Market

HI All, My name is Michelle and I have a couple LTR in South Florida. As many of you know this market is getting more and more experience. What are some creative ways to invest in a market that is "expensive"?

What are financing terms like in your area for commercial multifamily w/ hikes?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Worcester, Massachusetts
What are financing terms like in your area for commercial multifamily w/ hikes?

Given the interest rate hikes, in my area, new england (MA, RI, CT, NH), I am seeing 7% interest, 25 to 30 year ARMs, 75% LTV for down payment/construction funds. This is financing from my local credit unions / banks at 5, 7, or 10 year ARM. At the beginning of the year, I was seeing around 6% in...

1st Post! Toledo OH?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Toledo, Ohio
1st Post! Toledo OH?

Hey everyone, first post here! I'm based in Austin, TX and just starting to look at out-of-state buy-and-hold rentals — single family and small multifamily, budget around $100-150K per property. Plan is to self-manage my first couple of properties before bringing in a PM once I scale up. Toledo k...

Is 70k enough to get started ?
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Chicago/Skokie, Illinois
Is 70k enough to get started ?

I have about 80k in equity in a condo and wondered if it is enough to get started on a flip. I would need to sell my current home and rent for the time being but I would have 70k cash.

Poll
Strategic Real Estate & Vacation Rental Opportunities in Dominican Republic Tourist
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Strategic Real Estate & Vacation Rental Opportunities in Dominican Republic Tourist

Hello BiggerPockets Community! ​My name is Joan Cuevas, representing Inmobiliaria Ramaldi in the Dominican Republic. ​We focus on connecting international buyers and investors with high-value real estate assets across the country’s most sought-after coastal and urban markets: ​Puerto Plata, Sosúa...

0 votes0 Replies
65 to 70 percent of our sales last year were multifamily.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Lowell, Massachusetts
65 to 70 percent of our sales last year were multifamily.

Here's the breakdown behind that number. Our brokerage did 65–70% multifamily transactions last year. We were the #1 brokerage for multifamily transaction volume in Massachusetts, and we landed in the top 5 across New England for multifamily investment sales. Here's the mix underneath that: rough...

Brian Waters BRRRR Key Company
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Los Angeles County, California
Brian Waters BRRRR Key Company

Hi! I just listened to the podcast with Brian Waters. Does anyone know what company he used to do the done for you BRRRR Key method? I'm looking to get into real estate and think this could be a quick way to do it. Thanks!

Just getting ready to get in the game
Buying & Selling Real Estate
St. Petersburg, Florida
Just getting ready to get in the game

Hello BP My wife and I are taking the steps to getting into the game. I would like to hear from all pros any and all advice. Our plans is to get into the multi family. We have pulled the equity from our home started the LLC.

What actually kills DSCR loans at underwriting
Buying & Selling Real Estate
What actually kills DSCR loans at underwriting

I'm a mortgage broker in Utah and I do a lot of DSCR. Figured I'd write up the things I watch blow up files, since most of them are avoidable if you know about them going in. Rent documentation mismatches. Lenders pull rent two ways: the appraiser's 1007 market rent schedule, and your actual leas...