Something I picked up working with multifamily and commercial rentals, mostly on the project coordination side: the properties that looked great on paper weren't always the ones that did best. For those of you owning multifamily/ commercial, what came up early on that you wish you'd known going i...
You have seen the story everywhere this week. WSJ, CRE Daily, every feed. Roughly $1.8 trillion in multifamily debt coming due, refi rates about double the 2020 and 2021 loans, values off the peak. Everyone is covering the debt. Almost nobody is covering the tax. The connection is simple. Owners ...
If I wanted to buy long-term buy and hold rental properties, small or medium multifamily with 8% cap rates around Dallas, Austin, Charleston, Cincinnati, etc is that possible and how would you recommend sourcing those deals?
I'm looking to break into the multifamily scene, specifically in the <$250,000 price range. I'm searching for something that would require light remodeling which I can BRRRR, no gut rehabs and preferably nothing turnkey unless cash flow is still obtainable. For anyone who actively invests in or i...
Hi everyone 👋 I’m Diana, 25 years old, and looking to learn more about multifamily investing. My husband and I bought our first home in 2022 using an FHA loan while I was in college and house hacked it. That property is now a rental, and we’re hoping to use our VA loan for our next purchase. Our ...
I matched 21,000 house sales against 3,300 duplex sales to settle whether house hacking actually beats buying a house. Here's the method and the result. Everybody has an opinion on this and almost nobody has run it on equal terms, so I tried to build the comparison carefully. Tell me where it bre...
Closed this one in the past 6 months. Sharing the real numbers because I keep seeing "there are no deals left" and that's just not true if you know where to look. The property: Normal Heights, San Diego Purchase price: under $1.35M Needs repairs, this wasn't turnkey Current gross rents: $11,500/m...
Hi ALL, I am moving towards starting my real estate investment business. I currently own a plumbing and HVAC service business. I am looking for any insight and perhaps even looking for anyone who wants to partner, lenders, etc. I have a business plan in place and now it's just a matter of putting...
Distressed multifamily properties are getting more attention from investors right now. And on the surface, a property being sold at a discount can sound pretty attractive. But here’s the question I would ask first: Why is it distressed? Recent data shows distressed multifamily sales increased to ...
Hi BP community, I have a question and would like to receive feedback from those with experience. I am looking at a turnkey duplex in Memphis with a purchase price just under 100k, what type of loan should I be looking for, I have read about DSCR loans but not sure if there are other options. App...
The more I learn about multifamily investing, the more I realize there’s a big difference between talking about deals online and actually operating properties successfully long term. Curious from those with real experience in the space: What’s something about multifamily investing that sounds sim...
I matched 828 St. Paul small multifamily buildings that sold twice since 2012, and here's what the owners actually made. Most appreciation numbers are averages of different properties in different years, which means changes in the mix of what sold get counted as changes in value. Repeat sales avo...
Something I’ve noticed with RAL operators is that there can be a lot of confusion around permits and Fair Housing. I work on the operations side for RAL Roadmap, and one distinction that comes up pretty often is the difference between “the city made me get a permit” and “the city is discriminatin...
Keep a strong cashflowing property or get out of a declining neighborhood to redeploy the capital? I have a 9-unit multifamily property that is currently cashflowing very well. However, the neighborhood it is in has been trending downward in terms of the number of homeless residents in the area. ...
I’m looking for some advice from investors who have made the transition from single-family rentals into small multifamily/apartment properties. I currently own a few single-family rentals and I’m considering moving into the 4–10 unit/small commercial multifamily space for my next investment. One ...
My mom has a 12 plex of all large 1 bedroom in a working part of dfw. She has taken sec 8 for over 10 years and tenants have stayed and for the most part not trashed the units. How do we find more sec 8 tenants. We have a 3rd party mgt who will syndicate and she has advertised on affordable housi...
I am UC on a 4 plex and there is everything wrong with this property. Major Foundation issues: - floors diving all over the place - cabinets separated from the floors by 5 inches in one spot - sewer line previously broke in foundation (they jackhammered floors, and replaced broken portion, but di...
Hi all - Posting this as someone who spent almost 20 years on the lender side of CRE, a large part of it in the multifamily asset management space (portfolio management/credit risk/loss mitigation, etc) Quick clarification since this term can get used loosely; I'm referring to asset management on...
Hey all I am just wondering if you guys could tell me about how I could start with small multifamily and get into larger apartments in the Dallas area.
Let's talk about value-add. After a few challenging years of higher interest rates, rising insurance and construction costs, and tighter underwriting, we're starting to see investors take another look at value-add multifamily opportunities. Berkadia's 2026 Multifamily Investor Sentiment Survey fo...
$18,300 in annual rent on a $97,000 Rochester duplex. What do you actually keep? I went back through some of our Rochester multifamily listings. Three examples show why I want to see more than the asking price and monthly rent before deciding whether something looks interesting. I’m leaving the a...
I think every investor eventually asks this question: “Should I manage the property myself?” I've done the math in my head too. Why pay someone else when I can do it myself? Then you get a tenant calling at 2:00 AM because something is leaking... Suddenly that management fee doesn't look so bad. ...
Hi everyone! My name is Jessi, and I'm a small business acquirer. I'm currently looking at a business acquisition that includes real estate. The business operates out of the real estate (office space), but the business sellers want a certain value for the real estate that the business's cash flow...
I'm trying to understand the acquisition process beyond the numbers. Suppose you submit an LOI, the seller accepts your price and terms, and you move toward a purchase contract. What are the major things experienced investors are doing during that period? I mean: Due diligence Financing Property ...
I’m actively looking to invest in real estate in New York and would love to connect with investors, property owners, agents, and wholesalers who are working on opportunities in the area. I’m open to hearing about different types of properties, including: • Multifamily • Mixed-use • Value-add oppo...