scenario purchase price 950k 250k down 700k mortgage.. sell for 1.2 I 1031 into new building so I cover the 950k purchase what about the mortgage? Do I need to get a mortgage for 700k to match the original balance I will have paid this loan in full prior to this as my pre pay is up.. so there wil...
Is it possible to buy a house from my boyfriend on a 1031 exchange and then selling it back in a couple years to the same boyfriend? Thank you
Hi guys, is there a loophole for the 180 days time frame? Grant Cordon was saying there is a trick to postpone it, but never explained what kind of trick... Does anybody know? Thank you
The hardest part of a 1031 exchange usually isn't the paperwork. That's your QI's job (the qualified intermediary, the company that holds your sale money) and your CPA's. The hard part is finding replacement property you actually want before your deadlines hit. In Louisville, small multifamily ju...
Who has bought a car wash or has looked at buying one with their 1031 exchange money? Was it a fast process, glad you did it?
I’m curious how other investors approach a 1031 exchange when the goal is to move away from active property management. Many first-time exchangers naturally look at another rental, commercial property, or a DST. But depending on the facts and circumstances, there may be other real estate-based op...
If one changes the use of an investment property to a second home .. I guess the question is what is the tax ramifications of recapture since I have no basis do I pay it the next tax year or would it be paid when I actually sell it .. or since it will be in my trust and go to the kids what then.....
If you are a DST investor with Crew Enterprises formerly known as Versity, and before that NB Private Capital, and have had your monthly distributions suspended I'd like to hear from you. Please PM me. Thanks to Bigger Pockets members I am now aware of six Crew DSTs that have or had their distrib...
I own a STR in Wells, Maine. I may sell it now (next 6 weeks) and realize roughly $1M of gain. In January I purchased another home that is not yet approved for subdivision but I expect it will be fully approved in the next few months and am knocking down the existing home and developing four home...
A 1031 exchange can solve a tax-timing problem, but the deadline can also create an underwriting problem. Consider this hypothetical situation: An investor sells a rental property and has approximately $300,000 of equity to reinvest. On day 38 of the identification period, the best available repl...
I have access to a fairly large portfolio of leased, tenant-in-place single-family homes across DFW and Houston — mostly 2005-2010 vintage, professionally managed, with tenants already in place at closing. Cash flow is strong relative to typical rentals in these markets, which I think makes them ...
Curious what the market is actually pricing in right now, not what a broker’s pitch deck says. For those of you who’ve done a 1031 into a triple net lease property, what return were you actually underwriting to going in, cap rate, cash-on-cash, whatever number you look at first? And separately, w...
I have located a farm I'd like to buy. It is off market, and has an existing farmhouse duplex on site, which is currently rented. I want to both retain the farmhouse as a rental, and also, build a new home and live in it on the remainder of the property. currently, the land is on two parcels: a 1...
I was having a conversation recently about 1031 exchanges and it got me thinking. As most of you know, there’s no legal minimum amount of gain or property value required to do a 1031. The real deciding factor is whether the tax deferral is worth the cost of hiring a Qualified Intermediary (QI) an...
Hi, I hoping one of our accounting gurus that like to get in the weeds might offer their opinion on this case. I did a land for land 1031 exchange with a company in 2022/2023. The original property was purchased on 9/7/2021, it was subsequently sold 7/8/2022 for an 80% profit. The replacement pro...
Hello, I’m looking for guidance on if a 1031 exchange is applicable in my situation. I currently own a single family rental property that I’m planning on selling. The sale price will most likely be around $500,000 and the mortgage is currently about $200,000. I plan on using the profits (let’s ju...
I'm on the fence and wanted to seek the wisdom of the crowd. We are listing a property for sale and are considering whether to 1031 into the next one or just pay the taxes, sit on the cash, and move at our own timeline. Any thoughts or opinions? Tax bill will likely be $25-30k Pros of 1031: 1. Ta...
You have a property worth $800k. Mortgage is $300k. You sell the property and have $500k profit proceeds (for simplicity, no costs). For a 1031 can you buy two replacement rental properties; One for $400k paid in full, zero mortgage. Then a second for $400k or more with 100k down and at least a $...
Good morning, Needed your help and would appreciate thoughts. Iam selling a rental home that has been owned for over 10 years located in Phoenix, Arizona. What are my different options to avoid /defer taxes? I have done 1031 exchange before but was looking for other options to see if I could defe...
I'm researching DSTs as a potential destination for a future 1031 exchange and recently came across several investor discussions involving suspended distributions, sponsor issues, and communication problems. For those who have actually invested in DSTs (especially those who have gone through a fu...