Hi, i'm looking to purchase multifamily apartments in the next few months ranging from 5-40 units. One of the issues I have come across is the inspection cost for the building. Even if I do find a good deal where the numbers line up inspections will cost anywhere from $500-$3000+ for a professional evolution. I'm wondering if there are any strategies pros employ for multifamily inspections where it can be either done using other people's money or if a cheaper solution would work such as hiring a local property manager/agent to do a walk through. What strategies are you guys implementing to optimize this cost?
Hi, i'm looking to purchase multifamily apartments in the next few months ranging from 5-40 units. One of the issues I have come across is the inspection cost for the building. Even if I do find a good deal where the numbers line up inspections will cost anywhere from $500-$3000+ for a professional evolution. I'm wondering if there are any strategies pros employ for multifamily inspections where it can be either done using other people's money or if a cheaper solution would work such as hiring a local property manager/agent to do a walk through. What strategies are you guys implementing to optimize this cost?
You are being penny wise and pound foolish. For the kind of money you’re talking to buy multi-family, you need a great inspector and great inspections. Those ain’t cheap, and one good catch by the inspector saves you all the money you spend on all the inspections.
There’s an old saying: “Life is hard. It’s harder when you’re stupid.” Not having thorough inspections by great inspectors is stupid.
Hi, i'm looking to purchase multifamily apartments in the next few months ranging from 5-40 units. One of the issues I have come across is the inspection cost for the building. Even if I do find a good deal where the numbers line up inspections will cost anywhere from $500-$3000+ for a professional evolution. I'm wondering if there are any strategies pros employ for multifamily inspections where it can be either done using other people's money or if a cheaper solution would work such as hiring a local property manager/agent to do a walk through. What strategies are you guys implementing to optimize this cost?
You are being penny wise and pound foolish. For the kind of money you’re talking to buy multi-family, you need a great inspector and great inspections. Those ain’t cheap, and one good catch by the inspector saves you all the money you spend on all the inspections.
There’s an old saying: “Life is hard. It’s harder when you’re stupid.” Not having thorough inspections by great inspectors is stupid.
Inspections are not a place to cut corners unless you are very experienced and have all the tools. It's part of the cost of the business of property acquisition and can save you more than the cost. Build it into your model of start-up costs, down payment, or other initial costs of the purchase. Shop around for multiple inspectors but here in the Reno, NV area they all charge about the same. The ones I have a good relationship with can get inspections done for me when I have offers with a quick close. Who has a good story of an inspection saving thousands? Many here on BP...
An inspector can save you more than what they're worth. If you're syndicating deals, then it's a cost that will be billed to the syndication.
Even after 2,300 units transacted, we pay an inspector to go into each unit and give us a report of the condition, along with pics. At this point, we bring our cap ex team, our AC head, scope the lines ourselves. But, we still hire outside to make sure we don't miss anything.
If we had not hired an inspector when we first started, we would have not caught countless items, and would have overpaid on every deal.
If you're going to hire a property manager, and expect them to give you an objective analysis, good luck. You need an objective report by someone who has nothing to gain other that getting paid
Goo luck
Gino
You intend to buy 40 units and you need to use other people's money for $3,000???
You also say you're looking to buy 5 units to 40 units. Have you talked to a lender yet about this because you may be looking at different qualifications personally for a 5 unit loan versus a 40 unit loan.
I have to say if you cannot tap $3000 (or even $500) for this without feeling it, you might not be able to tap what you need to qualify for the loan- you should look into this.
You will also need earnest money for the deal, and earnest money on 40 units is a lot different than earnest money on 5 units.
And then there are also sewer scope fees, and if your inspector recommends other inspectors to do inspections on things like the plumbing system, the roof, the electrical system etc... those have to come out of your pocket also- if you're going to pay for them.
Does your lender require a Phase 1 Enviro; How do you intend to pay for that?
just my 2 cents.
@D Kirk, I am all for saving money when you can get comparable quality work done for cheaper. The easiest way to do this is to shop multiple groups, but like hiring any contractor, less expensive doesn't mean better. You need to do your diligence on what is included from each.
Since it seems like you are at the very beginning of your investing journey, here are a couple things to know:
Most lenders for large deals will mandate who your inspector will be, or at least have a small list of the companies they will accept from. Remember, most of these loans are not like your house loan, where the house is collateral, but really YOU and your income are the security of the loan. For commercial sized apartments, the asset and the income coming from that asset are the real security behind the loan.
If you are syndicating a deal, inspections are included in costs covered by partnership. But from a capital needs standpoint, even if you plan on "using other people's money", that doesn't mean you don't need cash available. You will have formation costs, earnest deposits, legal bills, due diligence costs, etc that will likely all come out of your pocket initially. When you start bringing in investor money, you can reimburse yourself for all those costs, but that doesn't mean you can just start a syndication with no money in your bank account. For a 40 unit in my market, you likely need $100,000 to $200,000 of available money to get started. Possibly more if you are needing to put a large earnest deposit down to get awarded a deal.
But back to your question, shop around. You will likely see a fairly standard band of costs for comparable services. Then you can pick the one that meets your needs and you feel will actually perform a quality inspection.
We have an inhouse inspector that works for us and costs about $100/unit. I own a property management company so it is easy to support this role. As an investor if you have a full-time maintenance person you could double them as an inspector for when you buy properties, that's what I do.
@Gino Barbaro, @Evan Polaski, @Adam Bartomeo
I certainly believe it's possible. It sounds like I just need to find a senior partner to work with to bring good deals that has the capital and experience to help me close on deals for 3-5x returns. Am I wrong? As long as it's a good deal
I have a few inspectors in my contacts. The first one I call is the most expensive in my contacts. I believe He is the most thorough. His report is also good. On my first use of him, his inspection resulted in a $47,500 discount. Enough to justify using him every time he is available (and he has bumped me ahead of other customers because of my repeated use).
As other posts have stated, the inspector is not the place to try to save a few dollars. Similar get the drains scoped.
Good luck
@Gino Barbaro, @Evan Polaski, @Adam Bartomeo
I certainly believe it's possible. It sounds like I just need to find a senior partner to work with to bring good deals that has the capital and experience to help me close on deals for 3-5x returns. Am I wrong? As long as it's a good deal
@D Kirk can understand you asking this question to try and save money, but hope you follow the group consesus!
Do you even have the capital or track history to take down multi family? Seems to me you don't. I would first get deals under your belt before going up. If you are able to find good deals off market you can try to partner but it's best to sell the contract or get compensation for doing so(which is tricky with being not licensed). Finding multi family off market is tough, you will be competing against people who have way more experience and means to find them.
Hi, i'm looking to purchase multifamily apartments in the next few months ranging from 5-40 units. One of the issues I have come across is the inspection cost for the building. Even if I do find a good deal where the numbers line up inspections will cost anywhere from $500-$3000+ for a professional evolution. I'm wondering if there are any strategies pros employ for multifamily inspections where it can be either done using other people's money or if a cheaper solution would work such as hiring a local property manager/agent to do a walk t
ugh. What strategies are you guys implementing to optimize this cost? I
I have never in 10 years hired an inspection co, my guys walk it. Now if you are using a loan, well I believe you do not have any other option, So, 5- 40 units is a MASSIVE difference. Either way its 100s and 100s of thousands or millions of dollars. What's the difference of another 500- 3k, why worry about it ? So, you want to spend millions but do not have 500- 3k, HMM . I have said it 100x BP is turning into FB,
All the best
Hi, i'm looking to purchase multifamily apartments in the next few months ranging from 5-40 units. One of the issues I have come across is the inspection cost for the building. Even if I do find a good deal where the numbers line up inspections will cost anywhere from $500-$3000+ for a professional evolution. I'm wondering if there are any strategies pros employ for multifamily inspections where it can be either done using other people's money or if a cheaper solution would work such as hiring a local property manager/agent to do a walk through. What strategies are you guys implementing to optimize this cost?
You are being penny wise and pound foolish. For the kind of money you’re talking to buy multi-family, you need a great inspector and great inspections. Those ain’t cheap, and one good catch by the inspector saves you all the money you spend on all the inspections.
There’s an old saying: “Life is hard. It’s harder when you’re stupid.” Not having thorough inspections by great inspectors is stupid.
100% , who cares about 500- 3k when you are spending 6 or 7 figures
@Gino Barbaro, @Evan Polaski, @Adam Bartomeo
I certainly believe it's possible. It sounds like I just need to find a senior partner to work with to bring good deals that has the capital and experience to help me close on deals for 3-5x returns. Am I wrong? As long as it's a good deal
Well have your GC walk it , so I guess your correct :)
@D Kirk, I guess I am confused about your follow-on statement. I am not trying to be rude, but if you find a partner that has good deal flow, good access to capital and experience, what role do you play?
I am not trying to talk you out of anything you have you sights set on. Rather, if you are going to succeed in this space, you need to have an idea of what value you bring to others and, when looking for partners, seek out partners that help balance out those values. I.e. if you are great with numbers and an excel wizard, you could likely seek out a "deal" guy, who loves networking and hunting for properties, but doesn't really understand how to translate operations into financial models.
I think i'm just going to skip the inspection report have a gc come in to do a walk through if I do the deal myself. Biggest thing is going to be structural or foundational issues as long as that is solid it's okay. Going to find seller financing deals with 0-10%, finding limited partners who want to double their money in 2-3 years and cover all cost, pure sweat equity.
If i close on a multifamily thats worth $1m now, 10% down seller financing so bank isn't involved, after value add it's worth $1.5m, that's a 5x on cash. It doesn't matter if I lose out on 50k from an inspection. It's all about grinding and finding a good enough deal. Or I could bring deals like this to a guy that's doing the same thing as me with more experience and learn from them and split equity with them.
There's plenty of ways to navigate this, I agree with you if I had 200+ units I would do an inspection for each property I buy, it's no problem then but I'm trying to do my first deal.
I think i'm just going to skip the inspection report have a gc come in to do a walk through if I do the deal myself. Biggest thing is going to be structural or foundational issues as long as that is solid it's okay. Going to find seller financing deals with 0-10%, finding limited partners who want to double their money in 2-3 years and cover all cost, pure sweat equity.
If i close on a multifamily thats worth $1m now, 10% down seller financing so bank isn't involved, after value add it's worth $1.5m, that's a 5x on cash. It doesn't matter if I lose out on 50k from an inspection. It's all about grinding and finding a good enough deal. Or I could bring deals like this to a guy that's doing the same thing as me with more experience and learn from them and split equity with them.
There's plenty of ways to navigate this, I agree with you if I had 200+ units I would do an inspection for each property I buy, it's no problem then but I'm trying to do my first deal.
So, you do not even have a deal, NOR experience, NOR money, but yet you posted you are wanting to buy 5 - 40 units. I SWEAR BP is turning into FB ,. SAD
BITW nobody is giving a dime without YOU having skin in the game,
I just need to find someone to work with on my first multifamily deal
NO, you need to find a deal. ( if you know what one is ) and flip it to someone who is doing deals. You will earn a fee, learn save then go on your own
@D Kirk, I guess I am confused about your follow-on statement. I am not trying to be rude, but if you find a partner that has good deal flow, good access to capital and experience, what role do you play?
I am not trying to talk you out of anything you have you sights set on. Rather, if you are going to succeed in this space, you need to have an idea of what value you bring to others and, when looking for partners, seek out partners that help balance out those values. I.e. if you are great with numbers and an excel wizard, you could likely seek out a "deal" guy, who loves networking and hunting for properties, but doesn't really understand how to translate operations into financial models.
WELL said, As I have posted many times " what value do you bring to the table " this poster well.....
@D Kirk You get what you pay for.
I’ve had inspections get me $100,000 off the purchase price. And then only spent half that to fix the problems.
You want the best, most thorough inspection you can get.
@Bob S., I am wondering if this account is even real. It is starting to seem like a troll just trying to get all us other keyboard jockeys riled up... :)
As mentioned in a previous comment, you don't want a cheap appraisal/inspection. It'll be done with little attention to detail and take longer for the report.
For 5+ units, it's normal for the price to jump, because it's technically and legally a different kind of property. It's silly, that a 4-unit for a DSCR loan can pay $650 for an appraisal, and a 5-unit in the same market jumps to $3k.
But that's how it is. The reports are often more detailed and require more analysis.