Hello,
Has anyone worked with Grocapitus and were their revenue estimates accurate? Any comments on things worked out? I tried searching the forum expecting to find something but was having trouble. Please PM if you've worked with them.
Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Do NOT invest with Grocapitus. Neal Bawa sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but his track record is terrible. Their underwriting is pie in the sky unrealistic and puts little or none of his own money into his deals. I have a buddy who invested in a project in Las Vegas that crashed and burned. They are now selling resulting in a 100% loss for investors.
I invested in a project with Neal Bawa and his former partner Jean-Marc Landau on a project in Buffalo, NY three years ago. Neal and Jean-Marc were supposed to secure construction funds. They were unable to do so and have ostensibly walked away from the project leaving their partners to clean up the mess. Despite their track record, both these guys continue to peddle their snake oil. They have become good at marketing out of necessity as nobody invests with them twice. Avoid them like the plague.
Hey Ryan did you ever get any feedback or otherwise from anyone (possibly privately)?
Interesting. $150M+ in holdings and no response. Come one people.... Surely someone on this site has invested with them as LP.
I'm also considering investing with Neal Bawa and Grocapitus. Does anyone on the forums have any experience with this syndication group, and could comment on their historic performance and your experience working with their management team?
I think very highly of Neal. He's one of the smartest guys I know in the space. From a peer to peer (not an LP) perspective I think he's pretty darn awesome! :)
High net worth LPs don't really like to reveal themselves on public forums.
I am trying to research grocapitus investment results also. My fear is that they might be more focused on the marketing aspects of finding investors through educating the average investor. Seems like a nice boutique operation and their thinking is sound. I just need to learn more of them. Anybody?
I have not invested with Grocapitus but I have met several people who have and I go to their "Multifamily University" Meetups fairly often. They and their investors don't typically spend much time on BP because they get the most value from meeting with Neal and his team in person at meetups and on phone calls.
Grocapitus is the most innovative syndication company I have ever seen though, so I would highly recommend attending their webinars and getting involved with them as an investor.
For full transparency, his Marketing Director of Marketing and Social Engagement, Eric Bleau, has been my mentor for the past several months so I am a little biased, but, having personally been to multiple boot camps and having met several syndicators like Vinney Chopra and Anthony Chara, I can confidently say that Eric and Neal are two of the smartest, and most well-put-together players in the multifamily syndication world I've met.
Also, I'm sorry they don't have much BP presence, their investor relations management team is Neal and one other person so I guess they haven't found time to come out here. Let me know if you have any questions! I'll try to be more active on here :)
I had one of my LPs send me a deal from gocapitus he was thinking of investing in. I did a video review of the package on my youtube. Basically they missed the loss to lease figure and would be breaking even in the first few years. They use an economic vacancy figure instead of breaking out loss to lease, bad debt, and concessions so as to conceal their assumptions but a skilled operators can reverse calc it. I think he thinks he is smarter than he is and he has convinced a lot of people of the same. I also know he doesn't do his own underwriting and outsources it, which is very risky, and obvious when you look at them try to explain the underwriting during presentations. He is a brilliant marketer, I will give him that.
Do NOT invest with Grocapitus. Neal Bawa sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but his track record is terrible. Their underwriting is pie in the sky unrealistic and puts little or none of his own money into his deals. I have a buddy who invested in a project in Las Vegas that crashed and burned. They are now selling resulting in a 100% loss for investors.
I invested in a project with Neal Bawa and his former partner Jean-Marc Landau on a project in Buffalo, NY three years ago. Neal and Jean-Marc were supposed to secure construction funds. They were unable to do so and have ostensibly walked away from the project leaving their partners to clean up the mess. Despite their track record, both these guys continue to peddle their snake oil. They have become good at marketing out of necessity as nobody invests with them twice. Avoid them like the plague.
Neal used to work as a Junior Partner at the company that Jeff is mentioning. He left the firm several years ago, because the assets were not being managed tightly enough. The investor loss incident being mentioned (flamingo las Vegas) is an event that has occurred in Q3 2020. The Buffalo project mentioned by Jeff has been substantially delayed but is very likely to get built and perform. Nonetheless, a black mark for Neal, regardless of the fact that it’s a past company that he worked for.
Grocapitus’ own portfolio of 13 projects has performed well for years, including post-COVID, which is a stronger indication of Neal’s direct leadership as the senior partner in the firm.
RESPONSE FROM GROCAPITUS TEAM – An investor (Mr. Hamrick) asked us about Mr. Joseph Bramante’s comment, so we responded. Our response is provided here in it’s entirety. This is Part 1 of the response. We are also providing the investor’s response to our response, where he mentions the sloppiness of Mr. Bramante's analysis.----------
We see no point of rebutting Mr. Bramante’s analysis on a blow by blow basis. Excel is a necessary but highly inadequate tool to evaluate a property. Understanding the market, the expense ratios and the marketability of a property is critical to understanding the true picture. It is our belief that if Joe had actually walked the property and understood it’s story, his commentary would be different. As it is, he is using a one sided picture of the story to grow his Youtube audience.
The proof is in the pudding. Here is a secure video link to the actual 15 minute video walkthrough of this property’s (post purchase) investor update, recorded recently. In this update, we walk through the property’s first 2 full quarters of ownership.
As you can imagine, with 4 of those months being coronavirus months, we dealt with HUGE challenges. But despite those challenges, shown below is the rental income and NOI vs BUDGET performance of this property. The entire 15 minute video is worth watching, but here is the bottom line, in 2 graphs.
NET OPERATING INCOME: The Net Operating income of the property is higher than the budget given to investors in all 6 months. As you will hear on the webinar, the drop in income in Feb and March was because we were pushing tenants out by raising rents, so we could rehab units. With a number of those rehabbed units now complete, our income and our occupancy is now increasing (and continued to be strong in July and August), even during a pandemic that prevents people from coming out to get tours. I would say that any project that beats pre-pandemic NOI budgets six months out of six is one to be proud of. Of course, our budgeted numbers get higher month after month, but I believe that to be true of every property, including those that Joe Bramante oversees.
BOTTOM LINE – Everything in our business is nuanced. One team sees opportunity, another team sees challenges. As LP investors, you pay us to convert opportunity into reality, and that is what we are doing. We will open this property’s books to you and to your fellow investors, should you decide to proceed to validate these numbers. Keep in mind that the 15 minute video was sent to investors who have already invested, so there is really no point in sugar coating anything.
INVESTOR (HAMRICK’S) RESPONSE TO OUR RESPONSE. NOTE HIS COMMENT ON JOE BRAMANTE’S SLOPPY ANALYSIS ---------------
I was reassured by your thoughtful and timely response to my inquiry.
Needless to say, my confidence in the ability of the Grocapitus team to analyze deals professionally and provide consistent above-average returns to your investors is not shaken.
Even while watching the Youtube video by Mr. Bramante I was suspicious of his speed and sloppiness in performing what was obviously a quick and dirty analysis without forethought or more background on the project.
Mrs. Hamrick and I look forward to many more years of unique, interesting, and profitable investments with you and your fine team of real estate investment specialists.
We also sent to Mr. Hamrick actual, unedited reviews of investors who have invested with us. Investors are most interested in reviews of 'full-cycle' investors, so most of the reviews provided here are full cycle investors. For confidentiality reasons, last names were turned to initials, but should anyone like to talk with these investors, we can connect them with you.
Note that this is a fraction of the reviews that we have received. Please review and decide for yourself if this description matches Mr. Bramante's description of our organization's abilities.
RESPONSE FROM TRIARC REAL ESTATE PARTNERS – After hearing many stories of investors getting into deals with relatively new and inexperienced syndicators only to get burned when their numbers didn't work out nearly as estimated, I did 2 videos that provided a breakdown on the analysis provided. Neals was the first and admittedly it was a bit sloppy since I was doing everything off the cuff. However it was not my best work so thank you for giving me the opportunity to redo the video in excel this time and very clearly educate you and your investors on the dangers of economic vacancy and the many broad assumptions you, or more accurately the guy you hired to do your underwriting, made. So stay tuned for an updated video. And for the record, I have no ambition of growing my YouTube channel.
Now, lets get into some of your responses...and no, I haven’t seen your video but shouldn’t have to if the data is correct.
The Engineer vs the Data Scientist.
First, don’t play games with the numbers. I understand that's what you did on your quarterly update with your investors because they don't know any better, but don't try that with me or any post referencing me.
Per your Proforma, your Year 1 Rental Revenue number is $2.2M or an average of $183k/month. This is an average so it starts lower and ramps up. You state it starts at $175k so it must ramp up to around $192k in Dec. Your first month is elevated because it included carry over from the previous month you closed (very common) and the last month is likely elevated due to a surge in rental assistance money. Your average for the other 4 months is $175.7k minus $183.3k is $7.6k over 12 months is $91.2k shortfall or roughly 3.5% of GPR. I will need to check my notes, but the entire point of my video was that the economic vacancy, besides being a terrible metric to use, was too low. Looks like I was right and it was around 3.5% too low. You can conveniently blame it on Covid even though most reports show it had very little impact on multifamily, especially through July. We maintained our collections above 95% through that period as did most other good operators. But you play that card if you have to.
Now lets look at the NOI. Wow, where to start. So, one of three things happened here. Either you messed up the numbers, which it's a rather simple calc so I hope not. Or you excluded something from the actuals but didn't also exclude it from the budget numbers to get a true apples to apples comparison (yes). Or you way over estimated / inflated your expenses (yes). Looking at the two charts, plus knowing the RUBS estimate from your proforma of $121.8k, you can back into an expense number. I excluded the Jan and Jul months data since they were anomalies and I wanted more consistent data. For 4 months, I get $292k which when annualized is $875k vs the budget expense of $1,155k vs the T12 actuals of $950k so you "seemingly" outperformed expenses by $280k(32%) vs budget and $75k vs T12 actual. It looks like your actual taxes are $172k vs $285k and the $50k of lender reserve you had in Non Controllable Expenses was booked to capex (below the NOI) where it belongs. So $163k in extreme overconservativeness (taxes) and miss allocations (reserve). There is still $120K vs budget of inflated/overestimated expenses to account for. Being that overly conservative in your underwriting does not suggest any type of competency or skill, it suggest the exact opposite.
There are a few other items but the point is and has always been, the underwriting performed was sloppy, broad stroked and lacked basic inter line item relationship logic. Sure, you can apply a huge contingency to anything as a safeguard but that won't help you win many deals. What it will help you do is set a very high and above market GP compensation structure for deals by inflating the expenses to give the appearance of not being able to hit those numbers, only to close and reveal much better actual performance, triggering your promotes. On this one you get 50% of the distros above a 2.0x multiple on a deal already projected to hit a 1.9x for a 5 year hold. Thats robbery. Using the annualized NOI of $1.35M vs budget of $1.16M is $190k at a 5.6% exit cap is a minimum higher exit price of $3.4M, likely closer to $4M once income rebounds, of which you keep $2M in addition to your millions in other fees and promotes.
If you're an investor who believes that if a deal over performs they should keep a majority of those profits, attend one of our webinars next week for a 440 unit deal we are closing on in 3 weeks with a 22% IRR and 3.1x equity multiple. (The Weatherly was only 15.6% IRR and 1.9x equity multiple). It's a 30 minute, no fluff presentation. You should attend too Neal!
Register at the link below.
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IdelSGjGT4yMSr8zqsE7Yg
Originally posted by @Neal Bawa:
RESPONSE FROM GROCAPITUS TEAM – An investor (Mr. Hamrick) asked us about Mr. Joseph Bramante’s comment, so we responded. Our response is provided here in it’s entirety. This is Part 1 of the response. We are also providing the investor’s response to our response, where he mentions the sloppiness of Mr. Bramante's analysis.----------
We see no point of rebutting Mr. Bramante’s analysis on a blow by blow basis. Excel is a necessary but highly inadequate tool to evaluate a property. Understanding the market, the expense ratios and the marketability of a property is critical to understanding the true picture. It is our belief that if Joe had actually walked the property and understood it’s story, his commentary would be different. As it is, he is using a one sided picture of the story to grow his Youtube audience.
The proof is in the pudding. Here is a secure video link to the actual 15 minute video walkthrough of this property’s (post purchase) investor update, recorded recently. In this update, we walk through the property’s first 2 full quarters of ownership.
As you can imagine, with 4 of those months being coronavirus months, we dealt with HUGE challenges. But despite those challenges, shown below is the rental income and NOI vs BUDGET performance of this property. The entire 15 minute video is worth watching, but here is the bottom line, in 2 graphs.
NET OPERATING INCOME: The Net Operating income of the property is higher than the budget given to investors in all 6 months. As you will hear on the webinar, the drop in income in Feb and March was because we were pushing tenants out by raising rents, so we could rehab units. With a number of those rehabbed units now complete, our income and our occupancy is now increasing (and continued to be strong in July and August), even during a pandemic that prevents people from coming out to get tours. I would say that any project that beats pre-pandemic NOI budgets six months out of six is one to be proud of. Of course, our budgeted numbers get higher month after month, but I believe that to be true of every property, including those that Joe Bramante oversees.
BOTTOM LINE – Everything in our business is nuanced. One team sees opportunity, another team sees challenges. As LP investors, you pay us to convert opportunity into reality, and that is what we are doing. We will open this property’s books to you and to your fellow investors, should you decide to proceed to validate these numbers. Keep in mind that the 15 minute video was sent to investors who have already invested, so there is really no point in sugar coating anything.
INVESTOR (HAMRICK’S) RESPONSE TO OUR RESPONSE. NOTE HIS COMMENT ON JOE BRAMANTE’S SLOPPY ANALYSIS ---------------
I was reassured by your thoughtful and timely response to my inquiry.
Needless to say, my confidence in the ability of the Grocapitus team to analyze deals professionally and provide consistent above-average returns to your investors is not shaken.
Even while watching the Youtube video by Mr. Bramante I was suspicious of his speed and sloppiness in performing what was obviously a quick and dirty analysis without forethought or more background on the project.
Mrs. Hamrick and I look forward to many more years of unique, interesting, and profitable investments with you and your fine team of real estate investment specialists.
This thread is extremely interesting! Kudos to all members who got into the fray and really tried to bolster their point of view publicly.
As far as Lance Kawaoka's claim that the reason there wasn't much response to a post about checking on the quality of a large, well-known, super-markety sponsor is that members wouldn't want to declare that they are a high net worth individual just doesn't hold water. What is the claim - that someone is going to sue them, or kidnap their child, or what? Come on, it doesn't pass the smell test.
One can invest in big-name syndicators' deals for $25,000 or $50,000 now. Maybe $500 if you consider crowdfunding to be a "syndicated deal."
I think the reason that Grocapitus or Neal Bawa were not getting much response either speaks to their level of participation in BP (Neal obviously doesn't spend much time here), or the fact that unhappy LPs were shy, or happy LPs were shy, or BP does a poor job of really getting posts noticed. I myself have felt more than a few times that my post must have entered a black hole or something. It's possible as well that many of Grocapitus' investors are simply not on BP. However, as noted, there must be 500-1500 investors out there, so why are so few represented on BP, so.....
Curiouser and curiouser.........
Hello everyone, has anyone invested with Grocapitus in their 4 plexes, non-syndication developments? Such as Botanica Oak Hills in San Antonio or any other 4 plex where it is 100% owner? Reading previous threads has made me more cautious.
Thanks!
Has anyone looked at Botanica Southpark, Austin,TX project from Grocapitus?
They are planning to construct 4 plexes (expected to complete by the end of 2023) and are offering several investment options.
I am also interested in the numbers as they relate to the fourplex ownership side of the business proposal. Does anyone have experience in this realm they would like to share?
I have invested with financial attunement (Neil Bawa was a partner at the time), emails still include him. Like most other places, the projections were rosy, everything seemed to be going fine in terms of work. However the deal is running several years behind schedule. Lenders cannot be found. For 1 year nothing is happening. No return has come out. I am skeptical. Just want to put it out there.
You should not read any reviews given to you by solicitor/advertiser. You need to talk to people directly and find full cycle experience from start to exit for syndications. It may seem syndications do not earn till they exit. However once money is given, no one knows what is going on. Syndication may spend your money then loose interest as an example and move on to next deal.
Also, if they tell you, we are full but one spot is available, beware you are being played.
I contacted Grocapitus a few days after their webinar presentation on Botanica Southpark. I was told that the deal was full within minutes after the webinar ended. Apparently 200 some people sent in signed paperworks within minutes. I am puzzled how people were able to complete proper due diligence that quickly. Or is Grocapitus really is that solid that people just have that much faith. I am new to syndication investing so I really don't know which is the case here. I looked at their Houston Fourplex presentation deck and it appears that the Southpark project is almost the same in terms of building design etc (the interior pictures of the fourplexes are exactly the same).
I too am considering investing in their Southpark fourplexes so would definitely appreciate people sharing their thoughts and investment experiences.
I contacted Grocapitus a few days after their webinar presentation on Botanica Southpark. I was told that the deal was full within minutes after the webinar ended. Apparently 200 some people sent in signed paperworks within minutes. I am puzzled how people were able to complete proper due diligence that quickly. Or is Grocapitus really is that solid that people just have that much faith. I am new to syndication investing so I really don't know which is the case here. I looked at their Houston Fourplex presentation deck and it appears that the Southpark project is almost the same in terms of building design etc (the interior pictures of the fourplexes are exactly the same).
I too am considering investing in their Southpark fourplexes so would definitely appreciate people sharing their thoughts and investment experiences.
I have no clue on the deals and the deep dive into these is above my pay grade.. but I can say that deals that subscribe in an hour or so .. then little to no due diligence is done at least deep due diligence .. and its the herd mentality.
and I can only harken back to Realty shares heydays with Nav Athwal.. We did some of the first deals for Nav when they were in a Menlo Park incubator.. they grew so fast and there was such a herd mentality with crowd fund investors Navs staff would tell me the same thing any deal put up would be subscribed within hours..
Realty shares is no more. again its just reminds me of that situation I have no clue as to how good these deals are or are not.
Regarding Botanica Southpark, we did indeed have 200 investors subscribe overnight. Many of these were part of our early access program and received information on the project before the webinar, but overall because people know we sell out right away they submit their soft commit, and then do their due diligence before wiring their money. This is very common in the syndication industry. We do not penalize people for pulling their docs out if they change their minds after submitting their docs. For the Houston Fourplex decks vs the Botanica Southpark renders - they are the same in terms of layout because they are the same programmatic model, which has been carefully value-engineered, and is being built in different markets in Texas. This gives our developments the ability to scale as we are very knowledgeable about our build process, materials and costs. Please note that Grocapitus offers either investing in syndications or buying new fourplexes - two very different products for two very different types of investors, although many investors do both through us.
While Harish may have had a poor experience with Financial Attunement, Neal was a Junior partner in that company and left in 2018. As such he is no longer a decision-maker on those projects. He is however the CEO of Grocapitus, and our projects run well and our investors have regular updates and a very different experience from what is being described. We welcome you to contact us and find out for yourselves who we are and why over 200 people have the confidence in our company to submit their docs immediately upon release of our projects to market.