Purchasing property within LLC w/ a mortgage

Purchasing property within LLC w/ a mortgage

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote

I'm unclear if this is possible or is but very difficult- that is purchasing an investment property within an LLC that has a mortgage. I've read that it requires lender approval. I'm not sure how hard this to get or what other factors are involved. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!

0Reply
36 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    11mo

    Sure you can absolutely do this. However if the LLC's purpose is asset protection, then the borrower on the mortgage needs to be the LLC. If you personally are the borrower, then the LLC is easily pierceable since the owner of the property, and the borrower are 2 different individuals.

    Additionally, make sure the insurance is in the name of the LLC. Ive seen people who have the insurance in their name, the house burns down, then the insurance denies the claim because the policy holder is not the owner of the property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.