Help! Contractors in San Antonio refusing NACA renovation loan (Duplex)

Help! Contractors in San Antonio refusing NACA renovation loan (Duplex)

Lonzo McKelvyPro Member
NASHVILLE, GA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m currently in a tough spot and looking for some creative solutions or referrals from the BP community here in San Antonio.

The Situation: I am currently approved for a loan through the NACA (Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America) homebuying program. I’m a huge fan of the program because the terms are unbeatable (no down payment, no closing costs, below-market rate), and I absolutely do not want to switch lenders or pull my credit again for a new loan.

The Deal: I found a duplex that I'm currently negotiating on. It's a great opportunity, but it requires some upgrades and repairs to meet NACA's standards and my own goals for the property.

The Problem: Every time I try to get bids, the moment I mention that the funding is coming through a NACA renovation loan (HAND), contractors back out. They are telling me it is too difficult to work with them, too much paperwork, or that the payment schedule is too slow.

Personally, I believe NACA just has strict standards to protect the buyer, but I'm hitting a wall finding a crew willing to jump through the hoops.

My Ask:

  1. Does anyone have recommendations for NACA-approved or "NACA-friendly" General Contractors in the San Antonio area?
  2. If you've used the NACA renovation loan before, how did you overcome contractor hesitation without changing lenders?

I’m committed to making this deal work with this specific loan product. Any leads or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Lonzo

0Reply
87 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    8mo

    Hi Lonzo, tough situation but not uncommon with NACA projects.

    I work with investor-friendly Texas agents and contractors who are familiar with renovation-heavy deals in San Antonio and Houston. Some contractors are hesitant with NACA because of draw schedules, but there are crews who've done it successfully.

    Are you working with a local agent right now? If not, I may be able to point you to someone experienced with NACA and duplex deals in San Antonio.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Would the seller be willing to do the minimum required by lender prior to closing if you went up in price? Like FHA type situation. You could pay out of pocket for the remainder of updates that you want after you close. Ultimately you may find it more realistic to purchase something that doesn't need renovations if this loan is so buyer friendly that no one wants to work with you.

  • Lonzo McKelvyPro Member
    OP
    NASHVILLE, GA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    yes I'm currently working with agent under the NACA umbrella

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.