Harry Johnson
  • Bradford, NH
Votes |
Best buy and hold strategy for appreciation

Harry Johnson
  • Bradford, NH
Posted Mar 28 2016, 07:26

So here's my situation:

My income to debt ratio is very good.  I earn > 100k/year and do not have a mortgage, nor do I pay rent (Government provided housing), or have car payments or student loan.  I have saved over 100,000 but as any investor knows - you don't get wealthy saving, you get wealthy investing.  You could argue that because inflation is greater than the return you get on a savings account, my 100,000 is worth less and less every year.

So I don't need cash flow, and as things stand now with my TSP (Government equivalent of 401k) and annuity, I should have a cash flow when I retire that will be adequate. Where I am struggling to find an answer is how to invest 100,000 now that will provide the greatest return over the next 10 years. Is real estate the answer, and if so should I be looking to buy and hold one property, or several smaller valued properties? What markets? I do not reside in the U.S so will need something turnkey.

Looking for some expert advice, or maybe I shouldn't even be considering real estate.

-Harry